Archinect
anchor

Tiring architects VS Real Architects

Kristix You! Black Emperor
Aug 25, 05 9:19 pm  · 
 · 

Many ways to make moeny with architecture!!!!
THE MAGIC GEHRY'S CUBE

http://shop.ago.net/products/magiccube2.html
http://shop.ago.net/dir/17.html
Who was talking about Franchise???...the list is neverending like Britney Spears on eBay!

Aug 25, 05 9:26 pm  · 
 · 

Experience Music Project

Bilbao

Frederick R. Weisman Museum at the University of Minnesota

Model of proposed Guggenheim Museum along East River at Wall Street
[/img]http://www.thecityreview.com/gehgugny.gif[/img]
Model of Millennium Park Music Pavilion and Great Lawn in Chicago
[img]
]http://www.thecityreview.com/gehgug11.gif[/img]
MARTa Herford - Museum of contemporary art and design
Put the aluminum, it's better!!!
Brooklyn Atlantic Yards and Brooklyn Arena

Bard College Performing Arts Center Model.

WALT DISNEY CONCERT HALL

THE PETER B. LEWIS CAMPUS OF THE WEATHERHEAD SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT

...and so on and on and on...

Aug 25, 05 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
fordified

hilarious thread, kudos on the changing sex part.

kristi - are you looking for inquiry or validation?

the Angry Young Man (Woman?) = very important. still there sometimes. That's totally fine, but recognize you're on a continuum and your ideas (god willing) won't stay put forever. Do you think your opinions & growth are set, and there is nothing to learn from those you so gleefully bash?

Goading and making sport (which seems to be your m.o. when on the defensive) can sometimes be hilarious. But don't pose as intellectual inquiry or debate unless you can also listen & respond. it's like calling a bun a hamburger. there's nothing there. frankly, i'm getting a kick out of how confrontational and loud you're trying to be. it's like the drunk guy and the room you can't help but smile at because he's just so damn *wasted*. but don't mistake that appreciation for listening or getting your point across. criticism doesn't progress by yelling louder and ignoring engagement. If you just want to hate Gehry, the Grateful Dead, Murcutt, Pollock, Sinatra, Ando, Andy Goldsworthy, or anyone else who has found an idea/method/concept they are personally interested enough in to make it their life's work to plumb the depths of, well just go ahead and do that. you don't need a forum. but i think that's pretty to take on one line of inquiry and push it to the limit. not for everybody (or even for me) but pretty badass. to know what you want. to know your question and see how deep it goes.

maybe hatin' will be your life's work. which is fine too (though not very lucrative. my cousin betsy's having a rough go of it). if so, take it to the limit.... but sounds like there's a lot of there you could feed off of, maybe learn from. learn that which you hate - it's pretty difficult. you may be pleased you hate it even more. at worst you just understand better.

Aug 25, 05 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Fordified, well spoken.

Anyway, whats up with the Peter B Lewis signage font - looks like they've used the forbidden font - lowercase Impact. Just another example of the graphic design/environmental signage destroying an otherwise fine building.

Aug 25, 05 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

hmm. this is interesting. I've never been a huge fan of Gehry, as I've said and I'm not exactly sure why. I guess I somewhat naively also believe a lot of his works to be similar, but I think the bigger thing is that I feel like there are better architects out there missing out on some of the recognition. Anyway, seeing some of those pictures, especially the one of the Experience Music Project, really makes me want to reconsider Gehry. And that's just pictures. I've been to the Stata Center at MIT and wasn't too impressed. Other than the brick, I didn't think it fit in very well and anyone (and everyone) uses brick to fit in in Boston. The Tower Records building is a nice, and somewhat subtle way of giving that bland building a bit of an identity, but that's it for Gehry buildings I have seen in person. I guess I should hold of judgement for now, but I feel a lot better about FrankO already.

Aug 25, 05 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

kristix.
i like that you posted pictures to more accurately show your
point...seriously...two things though...

1. those buildings other than their cladding are all very, very
different. i mean look past the cladding and the forms are
very dissimilar.

2. that picture of the emp is very deceptive...it's actually not
clad in similar material to the others. none of it is clad in
the same typ. metallic color as the others. it is clad in metal,
but i believe it's four different types...white, red, light blue,
and a pinkish-purple..and maybe a gold type as well. i've
been there and the building is very interesting in relation to
the area it's cited around..it's actually right next to the space
needle in seattle as well as the amusement park that surrounds
it.

i do appreciate you posting the pictures though ...i'd be interested
to know...have you ever visited a gehry building and seen any
of them up close? i'd reccomend it...may not make you a fan,
but it would at least show you how incredibly complex his buildings
would be to document and detail prior to construction...there
are very rarely any typical details.

flm.
the stata...i guess i saw it as fitting into it's site more than
just the brick. the forms are semi reminiscint sp? of that sort of
turbine facility across the street with it's glass and brightly
colored machinery behind the glass. also he tries to open
the back to the campus and expand on the idea of campus
by reducing the scale of the various objects towards the campus...
as well as that sort of outdoor theater/sitting area. i'm not
entirely sure the building is a good example of his work...but
having lived in boston my whole life and knowing that the last
significant architectural work to be produced in that city to be
the new john hancock by pei or the library by philip johnson..
and the typical incredible conservative nature of the area..i'm
happy that gehry and mit were able to bring something to the
area...(i'm trying to think of other buildings that have been
produced in the area other than the buildings produced in the
past five years...)

also i understand what you're saying about gehry getting all
the recognition...i think gehry is very similar to your name
sake in that he's the only architect that people outside the
profession seem to know...and his celebrity is similar to
flw's in how he has pervaded not only the print media, but
popular culture/tv shows as well. not sure it's a bad thing
though that he brings attention to a profession that typically
finds it difficult to make it into the press or public conciousness
other than for things like the wtc or various contraversial
projects...(like gehry's proposed brooklyn development...)

Aug 25, 05 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I think you're right, lars. I've often thought about the similarity between flw and fog (can we call him "fog" from now on?) from a media standpoint. I do see flw as an historically more significant architect. I guess I don't have an argument to back that up, just that I think that for better or worse (I would say better), flw influenced architecture in America more than many (though not all) other modern day architects, including fog. flw is not my favorite architect, but I do think there's a lot to be said of his work and his ideas, especially when you put them in context. also, he's got the whole hindsight thing working for him. anyway, that's hardly on point.

without seeing his other works in person, I would say that the Stata Center is not Gehry's finest work. I haven't been over there in about 9 or 10 months now, but I just didn't feel like it fit in despite some similarities there. I don't know, I approached it from the grassy area on one side and it just felt like a really dead area with nothing going on.

Aug 26, 05 9:39 am  · 
 · 

My reason of posting was to pose a my idea and see how others think about it and view different ways of thought about it, and why not, learn from it if there's smth to.
I'm pleased you all been numerous (except displeasing comments of course) in discussion!

Aug 26, 05 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

I wish I could live in Spain.

New hotel in the Zone of La Rioja (spain), widely known for it´s fine wine.

Sep 4, 05 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

hmm I must say my criticism of gehry, et al is for the very same reason. However I wouldn't go so far as saying the rest of the bunch are real or that they aren't. But on the same hand to say that eric owen moss doesn't repeat his stuff is well rather shameful if not untrue. Just wanted to add that before I read the rest of the posts - sorry to have let it get so far without adding my bits and pieces.

Sep 4, 05 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

Seems nowadays verybody is getting pissed of by major Gehry!!! Huh and they fought me so much!!!
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=26973_0_42_0_C
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=P26333_0_42_0_C

Oct 24, 05 10:41 am  · 
 · 
surface

It is interesting to see how pride in a prevailing style or styles of architecture has been replaced by an endless lust for innovation, and the notion that consistency is mere repetition and the sign of a lazy, dull mind.

I'm not sure that innovation is always a good thing. WHY do it?

Oct 24, 05 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

Innovation is a process of our unique intellect as humans although it is not always utilised. There has been long periods of stagnation in western culture. The dark ages lasted for over 900 hundred years where cultural progressive development was negligible, may it could be considered an intellectual hibernation.

The lust is part of the hyper –reality we now experience as perpetual consumption demands almost constant innovation to bigger, better, faster. Marketed to the max on all formats and senses. Playing on insecurities, aspirations, definitions of character and personalities.

As with most of modern life, change is fast and the periods of reflection are short. This is applied to architecture and questions of style and taste. Ghery’s style may be considered as poetic as that of Gaudi. Both who will define a personal interpretation of the ‘rules’.

Life would be dull without these innovators.

As I like to finish on a quote, I’ll pick this by Alvin Toffler

In describing today's accelerating changes, the media fire blips of unrelated information at us. Experts bury us under mountains of narrowly specialized monographs. Popular forecasters present lists of unrelated trends, without any model to show us their interconnections or the forces likely to reverse them. As a result, change itself comes to be seen as anarchic, even lunatic.

Oct 24, 05 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
AP

hmmm...while I never really enjoyed the work of Gehry (via image), I couldn't disagree more with the O.Poster's evaluation.

... There is a certain validity to the probing of a single idea for a lifetime, as mentioned by fordified. However one feels about the oeuvre of FOG, he (and his cohorts) have developed new means.

Oct 24, 05 5:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: