Archinect
anchor

P.S. 3D FED UP

Pacific

I'm so tired of always having to learn or relearn a different cad or modeling program everyplace new that i go. Some people use 3dsmax, others rhino, others yet form-z or archicad. UGG, the archicad or vectorworks vs autocad question... but all of our engineers and conslutants use autocad. Ok, so you can save out as a dwg or dxf, but, what's the point? just use Autocad to begin with. Lots of schools and smaller design offices use macs (vectorworks + form-z, maya), but in europe most people use autocad and 3dsmax/viz. I personally could never afford a mac so i ended up using pc's because it was all so much cheaper and accessible. I don't know if there's any solution to this.
Alright, some of these statements are generalizations and i'm venting, but it's still frustrating having to move between different platforms and software all the time when one could spend an entire career trying to master any one of them.

Aug 19, 05 11:31 pm

If you master one or two... the rest come naturally. IMHO the best place to start for a student is AutoCAD, then either Rhino, form*Z or SketchUP.

Aug 20, 05 4:08 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I agree. ACAD is a must.

For 3D, the first thing you should get good at is the modeling. Most likely, you'll have much time to render, so they'll look like everyone else's anyway (think Pugh+Scarpa, Morphosis, Hadid). All of those programs - Rhino, FMZ, SketchUP - will export nicely to Max or another renderer.

Final Render and VRay will have standalone renderers soon. So, potentially, you won't have to learn Max to make great renderings. Which is great, 'cause Max is pretty cumbersome at times. I prefer FMZ, but hear that Sketchup is wonderful for basica architecture.

Master one, and any firm will realize you could pick up another program in no time.

Aug 20, 05 9:13 am  · 
 · 
DEVicox

it's true. Most of the software out there works off a basic logic. I actually find 3ds to be very intuitive, once the menus are understood. Sketchup is incredibly fast and dirty, and doesn't need much learning. Programs like FormZ do need some time to get used to. Especially the amount of steps and menus needed to create something. CAD is everything. Then whatever 3D platform you can handle.

Aug 21, 05 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

anyone use blender?

Aug 22, 05 10:08 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Master one animation software [Max, Maya] One CADD [Autocadd, VW] and one "modeling" [formz, rhino] - and you'll be set...

Aug 22, 05 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

I toyed around with Blender a while back when I was attempting to use as much open source stuff as possible. I didn't get very far with it. It seems like some people get decent results, but I would speculate that they have a lot of extra time on their hands.

Aug 22, 05 6:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: