Archinect
anchor

anyone had their firm pay for their Masters?

impalajunkie

just wondering if some places offer this, that'd be a huge financial help to have the office cover tuition. anyone done this?

Aug 19, 05 9:52 am
archimax

I dont know what firm offer this kind of help, but one of my classmate at cal poly do receive money from the firm she works at to cover the tuition and books. She works for a big arch/planning company in Irvine but I forget the name.

Aug 19, 05 10:03 am  · 
 · 
AP

I have no direct experience with this, but...

in Florida's larger cities (not Miami/FtL, but Jacksonville, Orlando etc.) this is (allegedly) common. However, finding a firm to cover licensure costs is more likely.

I know at least a few people who have benefited from this, but only after agreeing to some sort of terms such as coming back for x length of time after completing degree.

One guy that I know was working at Firm A in Jacksonville and wanting to return to school, but they wouldn't help. He found a firm that valued his specific skills, (Firm B), and agreed to cover his (in state public) grad education. He took their offer and starts his subsidized education this Fall.

This may be obvious, but corporate firms are more likely to offer that kind of help, as far as I know...

Aug 19, 05 10:46 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I've heard tales that companies that pay for some, or all education exist.
HA! then I woke up. I'll bet that you will see lass than 10 response on this post in the affirmative. Most arch firms are going to laugh when you raise this subject.

As Aaron stated, corporate & larger firms are probably your best bet for this. If I was offering such an incentive, I'd make you sign a contract to work for my firm for a few years after school. I'd require this person to work while in school, as well. I'd also only offer this to people that had been an integral pat of my company & wanted to contimue developing w/ my company.

As for smaller firms, I doubt many will have the resources (aks - not wanting to take away from their boat payment) to do this.

Aug 20, 05 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

why would i pay u to get a masters when i could just hire someone with a masters?

Aug 20, 05 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

..and pay very little, at that.

Aug 20, 05 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yes and pay you very little.

Aug 20, 05 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
Fish

Many firms will pay for you to take classes in your free time while you work. Some agree to reimburse you for classes you take commensurate with your grade (i.e. if you get an A, 100%, B, 75%, etc.), but that is while being a full-time employee. I have't heard of anywhere saying good bye to you for 3 years and paying while you get more education.

Aug 21, 05 10:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: