Archinect
anchor

Agricultural Architecture?

pluers

Hello All!

I'm a current graduate student researching agriculture architecture.  I've been conducting my research and so far I've run into issues.  The information on this architecture is either dryly technical or not architecture at all. Sustainable Agriculture, Agriculture Architecture, or Sustainable Architecture, the three don't go together.  I'm looking at small scale farming, not urban farming.  Does anyone know of any good sources for this? Thanks for any help.

Oct 10, 11 9:54 pm
dia

Not strictly architecture, but very interesting and perhaps more useful nonetheless - check out Open Source Ecology and its Global Village Consruction Set

Oct 10, 11 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

agriculture central

Oct 11, 11 12:55 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

what specifically are you interested in?

Oct 11, 11 12:57 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

the "architecture" of farming is mostly defined by what is being farmed, how it is being farmed, and where it is being farmed.  you should try doing a region-specific search and look under "farming practices."  there are differences in building needs for things like animals and cash crops - differences in storage of harvested and processed food - most buildings are pretty utilitarian, but you could get further if you get more specific...

Oct 11, 11 8:13 am  · 
 · 
calculator

I live on the prairies and around here the main crops are canola and wheat.  existing agricultural architecture can be any mixture of medium sized barns, massive grain silos, and the silos where they load trains.  as mentioned above its highly different for other crops.

perhaps you need to learn more about the agriculture before you can properly learn about the architecture?

Oct 11, 11 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

check out some pre-columbian cities....look up chinampas...really interesting.  History is full of some great examples.  If you are only looking at barns and such, you are probably not capturing the full scope of the relationship between agriculture and architecture.  Look at plan of St. Gall.  That is a really good one to study.

Oct 12, 11 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: