Archinect
anchor

relocating to Austin and screwing grad school

leander

I am so frustrated. I am broke because I was dumb enough to move to SoCal for in state tuition at Berkeley. Now, on my timeline looks like I won't apply until 2006 for the 2007 fall semester. My rent is 1243 a month and my bills (basic living) come up to 1900 including rent. I'm already in debt!! Besides that I am single.

Anyway, my question/statement:
I work for a huge firm. I want to relocate to Austin so I can afford to live. I can't do it until next summer. I am thinking grad school is not as important to me as paying off debt, enjoying my life and actually enjoying my late twenties. How well do Austin firms pay someone who just passed the ARE in California and has receprocity in Texas? If I don't move I am going to have to get a second job as a waitress! Plus - I hate Southern California. This leased, plastic life is no life for me.

Aug 18, 05 4:36 pm
mwad

I emailed you.

Aug 18, 05 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

this is the story of victoria lee
she started out on percodan
and ended up with me
she lived in berkely til the earthquake
shook her loose
she lives in texas now
where nothin ever moves.

Aug 18, 05 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

if you moved all the way to SoCal for in-state tuition, how bout an year more???? maybe you could move now to northern california (not that life is cheaper there) at leatst you will be out of the 'leased,plastic life'
one year seems long, but time flies, and by the end of it you will be in Berkeley, starting grad school, which is something im sure youve wanted to always do.
1900 per month does seem a bit steep, even for LA, ive been here for 4 years now and have always managed within 1300, with a car, a pretty good lifestyle, but cutting corners here and there. sometimes patience pays up very well in the end. and who knows you might end up getting fellowship $ in berkeley!

anyways just my 2 cents, and yes i believe that not all of SoCal life is plastic and cheap.

Aug 18, 05 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I emailed you too.

Aug 19, 05 12:03 am  · 
 · 
A

Why Austin? There are plenty of cheaper places to be than Cali and Austin is sooo cliche these days.

From my experience in TX, you should have no problem making good money there if you are registered. You'll make more in Houston or Dallas though. Again, I know more people that have left Austin than gone there. Then again I lived in Houston.

Ohh, I'm gonna get laced into for this one.

Aug 19, 05 12:18 am  · 
 · 
leander

oh my goodness. i am not moving anywhere. i work for a huge firm, and i need to stay put for my own sake. plus i want to go to berkeley. i need to hurry up and take the freaking GRE.
I hate algebra!

I live in Orange County. That's bringing me down. Plus, I really miss Southern people. Smart, hip, pabst blue ribbon drinking, broke ass artists, hot guys that listen to My Morning Jacket. Maybe I need a vacate. Found out tonight that I am going to SF to visit my best friend from NY in a couple weeks! So, that makes me happy!!

Aug 19, 05 12:32 am  · 
 · 
inkwray

I've been putting off the GRE tests for two months. I PROMISED MYSELF i would take them right after school..

Aug 19, 05 12:59 am  · 
 · 
inkwray

I think we're in the same position except I already broke the f-out of Chicago.
yes.

Aug 19, 05 1:02 am  · 
 · 
inkwray

I think we're in the same position except I already broke the f-out of Chicago.
yes.

Aug 19, 05 1:03 am  · 
 · 

why do you live for 1200 in the OC? that's the main problem.

Aug 19, 05 1:16 am  · 
 · 

"smart, hip, pabst blue ribbon drinking, broke ass artists, hot guys that listen to My Morning Jacket."

move to Boston/Cambridge, you'll be in heaven.

Aug 19, 05 6:46 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i listen to my morning jacket but have never been called hot. sigh

Aug 19, 05 7:51 am  · 
 · 
Crumpets

I haven't even heard of my morning jacket. And being called hot...well, once by a girl who was drunk. Damn...two strikes already.

My advice: don't worry about cost of living now. Just be where you want to be and you will be happy. If so.cal sucks for you, then find a place where you will be happy. San Francisco is very different than orange county. Hmmm...maybe i should take my own advice. I've been stuck in the atl for ages now...

good luck!

Aug 19, 05 10:04 am  · 
 · 
mwad

WonderK - are you in Austin?

Aug 19, 05 11:11 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

No, but I think that would be a nice change of pace. Actually my email was in response to the whole "abandonment of California" issue. I have lots of friends out there and wanted to see if I could hook leander up with cheaper rent ;o)

Aug 19, 05 11:41 am  · 
 · 
leander

I think my biggest focus just needs to be:
a: get good experience / apply to grad school
b: just pay the rent until my lease is up
c: stop trying to pay off the credit cards by january and just do the best i can

Aug 19, 05 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
leander

I think my biggest focus just needs to be:
a: get good experience / apply to grad school
b: just pay the rent until my lease is up
c: stop trying to pay off the credit cards by january and just do the best i can

Aug 19, 05 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: