Archinect
anchor

choosing the right school/program.

aisenajaxx

hi. so i've been watching a lot of hgtv lately and just recently decided three things.. house hunters is a great show, i would like to get into real estate and i would like to go to school to become an architect. the purpose of this thread is to get more information on accredited architecture schools and universities with accredited programs! i've been doing a lot of research -____- i got a list of all accredited schools and programs from the NAAB website & im trying to sort through them. i called a few schools and tried to talk to advisors and but got mostly directed back to their websites. i just want some feedback & info & stories & such about schools and programs, good and bad. & any other advice for a future BArch degree seeking student, lay it on me! 

Oct 10, 11 12:55 am
Rasa

So you're deciding your career choice based on a tv show?

Oct 10, 11 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
aisenajaxx

as crazy as it sounds, yes. im not easily motivated as far as school goes, my parents are teachers and i've been rebelling since k5. i don't get inspired too often so when i do and however it happens, i embrace it. but that's my business. did you have any substantial advice or what? if anybody else has questions similar to mine, i found two great websites. education portal and http://www.archschools.org/guide_search/home.aspx. these are both great places to start.

Oct 10, 11 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

Architecture is a lot different than what House Hunters portrays. If you want to be a technician, one who churns out status quo, you can literally go anywhere. My suggestion is community college, get your credits and then go out into the work force. Don't waste money and time on a fancy architecture school.

Oct 10, 11 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

OK, I read over what I just wrote and it sounded antagonistic, which was not my intention. Ultimately, an architecture school is going to demand something holistically different than what is equitable to House Hunters / Real Estate. If what you want is to just design houses based on what other people want, more power to you, seriously. I knew a guy from undergrad who did just that, and makes good money. You'll have a rewarding career.

Just be warned about the intensity of architecture school, and what it really means / demands.

Oct 10, 11 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
aisenajaxx

im aware, house hunters isn't even about architecture, it's actually just about people who are.. house hunting. but it lead me to the idea of real estate and from there i started thinking about building and designing houses myself. so that's the connection. but anyway, i was thinking about community colleges but i also want to have fun. im leaning more towards schools that have study abroad programs and paid internships tied into their programs. do you know of any universities that have such programs?

Oct 10, 11 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
aisenajaxx

haha ok. but yes thats more of what i would like to do. it's good to hear im not the only one with ideas like this. and yeah, learning that a lot of achitecture programs are vigourus and competitive but im still researching. trying to learn all i can before just applying to schools and getting into a program.

Oct 10, 11 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

there are plenty of states in the south and midwest where you can design homes up to a certain square footage without having an architect's license.  if you are interested/willing to work in such states, you could major in business, real estate development, building science, interior design, marketing, art --- anything really ---- and go on to to design houses in such states without going to architecture school.  Here in the southeast some states permit a person to design up to a 5,000 sf house without an architect's license.

Oct 10, 11 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
aisenajaxx

oh really? i will def look into that, thank you to all.

Oct 10, 11 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: