Archinect
anchor

place to live in SF?

cLoo

Anyone living in SF know of someone looking for a roomate o or has a place with an extram room that wants to rent out to me? I am moving out there in 2 wks, and am looking to live around northbeach/russian hill/soma/marina area. I'm thinking I can afford up 800 a month (900 is pushing it)...but ideally around the 700s. Let me know!

Aug 16, 05 8:49 pm
archimax

I live in the Sunset with my parents. Nice relax area in the city.

Aug 16, 05 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
zeth01

I live in the Sunset also. The area is nice and you can probably get more for your money over here. You should go to www.craigslist.org

Aug 16, 05 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
archimax

Someone actually live here!!
I thought most in archinect are socal people...:P

Aug 16, 05 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
zeth01

ah yeah I actually do live here. I am across from ucsf medical center

Aug 17, 05 12:12 am  · 
 · 
e

yeah, i would suggest you look in other areas of the city. more for the money indeed. you have just named most of the expensive areas in the city to live.

Aug 17, 05 12:52 am  · 
 · 
paper tiger

i do not live there, but one of my best friends from school does. and she is an aritist, and may i say, a good one. and she lives in the haight ashbury and has done so for several years, and knows the city very well. if you would like, i wil lask her or get her to post on here. it is late, so i shall ask in the morning. goodnight y'all, y pura vida.

Aug 17, 05 1:49 am  · 
 · 
cLoo

yes, haight ashbury would also be good :) that would be awesome paper tiger..thanks!

Aug 17, 05 9:42 am  · 
 · 
mintcar

some other areas that are MUCH better than that yuppified marina, etc. :

(they are all around van ness/market/mission)

alamo square area
hayes valley
lower haight
dolores park
castro
valencia/mission south of the 101 mission exit -- great places for a young architect!

Aug 18, 05 12:56 am  · 
 · 
e

when i lived in sf, i lived in polk gulch. crappy ass apartment between the tenderlion and russian hill. a hop over the hill to chinatown too. walked to every job i had in sf.

Aug 18, 05 1:04 am  · 
 · 
cSquared

yea the yuppified marina is really the pits: its clean and safe with beautiful buildings and within biking/walking distance to the presidio, the GG bridge, crissy fields, the marin headlands and fort mason. its missing that edgy hipster vibe that you may love, but its also missing the used needles and human feces you may find in your mission driveway.

Aug 18, 05 3:29 am  · 
 · 
lizok

woo hoo! More people in SF!

Marina gets dull... Mission is more fun, but be careful what you get into.

Best bet is to find a friend to crash with for a few days, and go visit as many places as possible. A friend of mine lives on Polk and sacramento, and it's actually great. Another guy found a decent apt on Franklin and Fell, right next to City Hall etc., so you really never know where you will find a great apt.

and craigslist.org is the way to go.

Aug 18, 05 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
cLoo

thanks so much! I'm actually crashing with a good friend for about a wk, and I hope to find a place around that time. I'll be working in SOMA area, so i hope to find somewhere where I can easily walk to work.

Aug 18, 05 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
ampm

lower haight and hayes valley is pretty good,as mintcar suggested. just moved here about 3 weeks ago and is pretty convenient to most places via foot or transit, plus has a nice mix of posh/ghetto. for now anyway. It still feels like a neighborhood where normal people live and do their own laundry. But live next to a fancy modern furniture store. This little art/fairly "anti-gallery"space in a former neighborhood grocery store called Hayes Valley Market has opened up for one year and it has random events going on at any given moment.

Aug 19, 05 10:55 am  · 
 · 
chic lorimer

Hey KLiu,

i'm moving to SF, just got out of undergrad. Did it take you a while to find a job?

Aug 19, 05 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
cLoo

hey chic,

i just got out of undergrad as well, and actually started off with a summer internship that is leading to a full time position. the process of becoming full time though and getting to the sf office is only 90% done. the principals still would like to meet me before staffing me...but that process of letting them know and coordinating took about 2.5 months (i'm currently in the dc office). but i'd say def send our resume and sample page out to as many firms as possible, contact them by phone--make sure to speak with someone. they may ask for ur full portfolio if they are still interested as well...give them a week, and call them again. the key is to get a name (principal, hr) and email a person, or mail something to a person. also, following up is a good idea...don't think u are bothering them--bc really, they may just be too busy to think about anything and may need a friendly reminder... PROACTIVE is the key word.

Aug 19, 05 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
mintcar

not to spread the hate, but csquared -- are your narrowminded opinions about other parts of the city indicative of the typical marina resident? if so, even more reason to NOT recommend living there.

Aug 21, 05 1:17 am  · 
 · 
mintcar

well, csquared ... i started that. i think "MUCH better than the marina" might have been too harsh; i don't mean to assume everyone there is a yuppy. (in a way, i'm a yuppy myself). i should have added "MUCH better than the marina ... for me and my taste." ;)

Aug 21, 05 1:38 am  · 
 · 
mad+dash

any thoughts on bernal heights or the immediately outer portions of the city?

Aug 21, 05 11:08 am  · 
 · 
cSquared

Mint- for the record, I grew up in SF and I know the terrain. Sometimes its funny to me when people bash the "yuppie" areas of the city, and sometimes it just pisses me off. Narrowmindedness in general, usually found on both sides of an issue, is what really should be avoided. As for where to live in the city, I think our friend from across the bay said it best: "Get In where you Fit In"

Aug 21, 05 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

i love Portrero Hill, one of my favorite neighborhoods in the city, though i don't live there right now. great views, more quiet, a little sunny hillside community, some families but lots of people sharing houses too. close to mission and soma. houses, decks, and small backyards. check it out. there's also some great spots around Delores Park. though the majority of the Mission is a great too.

i live in the "Tenderloin Heights", or the "Tender Nob", an informal border over the Tenderloin and at the foot of Nob Hill. Very urban, diverse, dense, noisy, colorful, affordable rentals, and you might have an advantage right now w/ all the vacanies.

bring cash and be ready to haggle, and you just might work a deal out of these landlords!

Aug 21, 05 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
jzxy

Dolores Park, Bryan....

Aug 23, 05 10:30 am  · 
 · 
galaxiz

I live right next to Alamo Square, great neighbourhood especially you have a dog or love dogs...but the street parking situation is a bitch.
It's quite convenient, literally central to everything.

Aug 23, 05 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
e

no need for a car in sf.

Aug 23, 05 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
galaxiz

Yes I agree, there's no need for car in the city...but I happen to enjoy short trips in, out and around the Bay area...Napa, Tahoe, Santa Cruz, Capitola Beach, King's Canyon, Brentwood, Gilroy outlets, Taiwanese food in the south bay, Fort Bragg, Redwood, etc.

Aug 23, 05 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
cLoo

where's the taiwanese food?

Aug 23, 05 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
jzxy

Mission and Second. Or, San Jose, Cupertino and Fremont for you die-hard TW gastronomic enthusiasts.

Aug 23, 05 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
galaxiz

Cupertino Village

Aug 23, 05 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

I lived in the Richmond district. It will get you a pretty nice place for what you are willing to pay and if you live anywhere in the vicinity of Clement Street, between Arguello and Park Presidio, there are a ton of good Asian Restaurants and a very large Asian Grocery. I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment that was pretty decent for $700/mo + half of utilities (my share). You would have to take the bus to wherever you get a job but there are express lines that run directly to the Financial District on California, Geary, and Balboa. Also, if you are looking to have a car it is probably easier to have one and park it on the street in the outer districts than in any of the places you mentioned.

Aug 24, 05 10:18 am  · 
 · 
e

i've lived in the richmond too. i agree with sahar and would add to plan to have a summer of fog. it rarely lift out there in the summer.

Aug 24, 05 10:32 am  · 
 · 
cLoo

how long is the commute by bus to soma from richmond?

Aug 24, 05 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
e

when i lived there, the geary from market and geary to 25th and geary [halfway down the length of the golden gate] used to take about 25-30 minutes during rush hour. there is an express bus too.

Aug 24, 05 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

there's the light rail, which can you save you some time too...

http://fusion.sims.berkeley.edu/MuniMap/Prototype/lines.cfm

Aug 24, 05 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
e

light rail to the richmond?

Aug 24, 05 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

not to the richmond, but once you get out that way towards the ocean, on the other side of the park, comes in handy, who knows where klui will end up.

personally i don't like the sunset or the richmond. but you are closer to the park. though, that geary bus from out there is a long ride...

Aug 24, 05 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
e

ah, i see what you are saying. yeah, if kLiu ends up way out near the ocean it might be the way to go. i also was not a big fan of the richmond. i lived there when i first moved to the city because i did not have a job at the time, and it was much cheaper to live there. once i got work and my lease was up, i moved. i just couldn't imagine the entire summer being set under fog.

Aug 24, 05 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
cLoo

i'm in sf now and currently looking for places, thanks for all the tips! i think i'll probably hit up craigs and look up rooms around nob hill areas/union square...hopefully something will work out!

Aug 29, 05 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

SOMA is a little tougher to get through than other places in the Financial District because it is a "developing district." It doesn't have as many bus lines, but it really depends on how far in SOMA you really are. Most of the express buses that run from the Richmond district terminate at 101 California, which is the cylindrical glass building with the pyramid atrium (Philip Johnson). I worked in SOMA, but near the Bay Bridge so it was great for me. about 20-25 minutes from door to door commute.

You should check out the MUNI website and see what might fit your location the best.

Aug 29, 05 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
cLoo

found a place in Nob Hill for a great price. Thanks everyone for all ur help!

Sep 7, 05 2:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: