Archinect
anchor

Northeastern University-March?

EcoArchSefa

does anyone know anything about the Masters program at this institution?

Aug 16, 05 4:43 pm
Hum4n

Hi thatblueprintt--- The March program has been established a couple of years for Northeatern graduates only, the new two years program is welcoming new students from other institutions this year 2005.

As you may already know, the focus is on urban architecture.

The department is small, lack of good facilities. There is no woodshop, students need to buy their own mini tools, and encourage to share. The reason is that the school is not a crafty school like an art school. The head of the department said that this school is not like RISD, Art schools, or any other schools that focus on technology and craft, but it's simply a design school. It turns me off completely when I heard that.

Spaces are also tight as well. The undergrad students rotate their studio space every semester because of 6 months school and 6 months working curriculum. Not sure about grad students, but I am doubt it since it's a new program.

You also should not expect to get a hand on expirience with real materials like other schools. Like my undergrad school right now involving its students design and built furniture, corner details out of real materials, which i believe the right way to teach an architecture student.

After talking with the director of program, he also said that, the studio tackle real complex urban problem such as the maket price of an apartment...renting rate, zoning code, as well as maketing the design.

I am not sure how serious you are about entering this program, but you should do a lot of research becaus eit seems kinna skeptical at the moment, nothing promising for the new incoming students. And also, don't expect any scholarship at all for grad student.

Good luck!

Aug 16, 05 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
EcoArchSefa

kokakekei...thanks for your input..i've been accepted although i recieved my undergrad education at a different institution. i am serious about the March degree and would like to pursue it. does the fact that the program is accredited by the NCARB make it a legitimate program somehow?

Aug 17, 05 12:21 am  · 
 · 
Hum4n

thatblueprint- everything is fine about the program. The way the studios are structures are appealing such as Housing aggregation studio which focus on housing in Boston. I, myself, am very interest in it, mainly because it is in Boston, had good Northeastrn facilities ( not architecture department), not require GRE, and basically easy to get into. NCARB doesn't mean it is legitimate, it might satisfy the minimum requirements only. Also you should find out more about the faculties....they are important, so far none seem to be able to sacrify their time outside their classrooms.

It is an ideal place because I didn't want to wait another year to prepare the GRE, and making good portfolio to get into a better school across the river.

Have you visited the school? talk to someone? I hope you are making the right decision.

Aug 17, 05 9:09 am  · 
 · 
EcoArchSefa

i am yet to visit and probably wont till i get there in the fall. i am interested in the urban design aspect of it. moreover i dont want to wait a year and therefore will enroll this fall. you must be in a strong academic standing to think that you can get by with a shaby portfolio. while it might not be in the rankings as a top architecture school, i believe that the March curriculum is comparable to most graduate programs. should you come across any other info jermaine to the school let me know, but i will be there this fall.
[email protected]

Aug 17, 05 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

i dont know much about the program. but what i do know is every time i've been there i've had a blast, fun school!

Aug 17, 05 10:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: