Archinect
anchor

Marshall Darling: Loving Father, Architect

SeanNOLA

When I started architecture school, I kept thinking of Marshall Darling and Mike Brady (the dads from "Clarrissa Explains it All" and "The Brady Bunch," respectively). Both of them were model fathers and architects, so I thought "cool, I'll graduate and work and have a wife and kids and a dog and everything will be all copestetic"
But now that I'm working, I'm noticing that all the guys I'm working with have new families and they really can't hold it together. Architects aren't really paid enough to support their families on thier own, and on top of that, the long hours make them practically strangers to their kids!
Now I'm terrified that I'm gonna be in that boat too, someday. I mean, I know the whole "gee golly, I can't wait to have a family all my own," thing is a little outdated, but is their anyone else out there going through the same thing?

Aug 16, 05 8:55 am
freq_arch

Life is full of choices
I choose to have it all

Aug 16, 05 9:01 am  · 
 · 
whistler

It takes some tough choices but it is worth it. I left and started my own firm just so I had control of my life after I was laid off ( really just a cut back in hours for a few weeks ) just after getting married. It was a very disturbing walk home but I made a choice right then that I hated the idea of working for someone when after busting my ass for 5 yrs for a guy I got the same treatment as the new student guy.

I chose to leave, in time and do my own thing. It was less about design control and more about control of my life. The Design control comes later when you get a little more skill and experience. Personally I am glad I got laid off as I would have never felt forced to make that decision or worse been too old to feel like I could make the decision.

Aug 16, 05 11:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: