Archinect
anchor

My Dumb PDF question

MysteryMan

This is one area that I have neglected in the past few years w/ regard to AutoCAD:
What methods can you use to write an ACAD file that cannot be edited, but can be pulled up in ACAD?

I have stayed on the periphery of PDFs, so I'm no expert, but not sure if you can pull these up in ACAD.

I can toggle the DWG file to be a 'Read-Only' file, but that is easily by-passed.

I know how to write a DWF file & send it, but it won't get pulled up in ACAD.

What other solutions d owe have, ya Einsteins?

Aug 12, 05 11:12 am
manamana

why do you want it to be pulled up in autocad if you don't want it edited?

it sounds like a PDF, opened in acrobat is what you want. Is there still anyone on the planet that doesn't have the ability to read a PDF?

Aug 12, 05 11:42 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

If it was me, we wouldn't even be to this point...but, my partner likes to piss off clients, so he wants to 'technically' send a non-editable DWG file. he's got it in his head that a PDF is something that does this. Well, it does, just not in ACAD.

I dunno, it's one of those days where I think it will culminate in me telling him to Buzz Off...again.

Thanks, if anyone else has any ideas abt Read-Only DWGs, PDFs, or just a new way to disparage that Pipe Smoker, I'm all ears.

Aug 12, 05 11:48 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Seems that PDFs have supplanted AutoDesk's Volo, or Whip! (Ka-PRAACKK!). Why is that? Volo is (or was) free, plus you can write via Volo, or Whip! (Ka-PRAACKK!)

Aug 12, 05 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

DWF's i think are read only, aren't they? viewable in autocad.

Aug 12, 05 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

oops. i didn't read that last part... what is happening when you try to open the dwf?

Aug 12, 05 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
domestic

If i understand you correctly, the reason your partner would want to send a dwg file to a client this way is so the client can see it as a work in process but not a process you want the client to alter themselves by changing what is in the drawing.

heres an idea that does what you want but maybe isn't smart:

-pull up the AutoCAD drawing
-press print screen
-open paint or photoshop and past it
-crop the image
-save it as a jpeg
-open the jpeg in autocad under insert picture (or whatever it is)
and save dwg.

A client who is sophisticated enough to want or be able to look at a dwg file in AutoCAD would see through is and probably figure out what your doing in doing this so ? this probably doesn't help, but it does get you a uneditable drawing in a dwg file.

Aug 12, 05 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Thanks everyone,
My final solution was to just tell him to 'Buzz Off' & go sleep in the bed he's made. Not really a solution via software, but pretty effective, nonetheless.

As for the use of PDFs - I know that most everyone's got the PDF Reader, but unless a client wants to buy me a PDF writer, I'll send that client a DWF & a link to get a free copy of Volo.

Aug 13, 05 11:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: