Archinect
anchor

Buying a computer!

ARCHITKD

Hey guys! my sister inlaw is about to buy a computer and she dosen't want a DELL. Since I haven't bought a computer for about 3years, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Computer Requirements:
She only wants a desktop.
She will be using it for wathcing DVD and web browsing.
30-40G momory, and 1G ram. minimum.
So I guess a good video cad is needed. Possible future installments of other software.

So my questions are, what is a good video card, and what other company is reliable with services besides DELL. Also not looking to spend no more than $600.00.

The DVD can be left out if not too realistic. But if it is a DVD burner can be included.

Aug 12, 05 8:56 am
trace™

I had a Gateway that was flawless. Good machine, but everything will cost more than the Dell. I also had a Micron that was good, but this long ago.

There's smaller brands that offer some good deals, like Velocity Micro and Polywell, both have good reps and solid specs. I'd go pick up a PC Mag or look at their site for reviews (just be careful of the dates, as many reviews will be years old).

Aug 12, 05 9:12 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

Please. Does this look like a forum that is interested in helping you specify a computer for your sister, inlaw.

She will be using it for wathcing DVD
The DVD can be left out if not too realistic
WTF

Buy a mag on the subject and do some reading.

Aug 12, 05 9:13 am  · 
 · 
manamana

yeah, wrong forum. short answer if you promise never to do it again:

just about anything current technology will be just fine for that. you only need a good video card if you're doing 3d stuff (games or work).

dell is the best deal for cheap, general use computers like that. tell her to get over it and watch fatwallet for a deal.

Aug 12, 05 9:34 am  · 
 · 
fminor

Computer advice....

Recommended computers systems for the School Of Design for the graduate architecture program are:

Dell Precision 670 work station (around $3400)
or the IBM T43-p laptop ($2400).

The desktop seems to be about 2x the computer with the duel processor. The computers both have graphics cards.

Pro's/Con's?

Aug 14, 05 3:07 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Get a 470 or whatever the newer version is. Same thing as the bigger workstation for less money (I have a dual 3.4 470). It's a lot smaller, too. The 500-600 series (I've got a dual 2.2 530) are monters - no need for that size and the opening panel is stupid.

Skip the IBM, go with a Dell as well. I'd get the 9300 or XPS Gen 2 (no need for the workstation M70 graphic card, esp. since it comes with a small screen - it's just old and outdated and I am sure they'll have a 17" replacement anyday now).

Aug 14, 05 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Josh Russell

desktop for DVD and web browsing.

why in the hell do you need a gig of ram for web browsing? you don't.
also what does a 'good' video card have to do with watching DVDs? it doesn't.

possible future installments of other software? if she's watching DVDs and web browsing, I'm going to assume that she isn't going to be using CAD or Max.

nVidia 6800 gt or the new nVidia 7800 = $350 - $600

$600 is going to get you a 2.8ghz processor and 512 ram with an integrated video card. exactly what is needed for "webbrowsing and watching DVDs".

Aug 14, 05 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
trace™
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=3d47w3&s=bsd

Yup, get over the 'ain't getting a deal'.

Comes with a free 19" LCD, just upgarde a few items and you'll hit the $600 mark.

Aug 14, 05 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
johndevlin

on Dells

Aug 19, 05 1:44 am  · 
 · 
o+

the only reason dells have poorer customer service compared to
apple is that about 50x more people are buying them, and with all
dells good deals, they're bringing in a lot more, 'noobs', as it were, clouding the real picture.....

Aug 19, 05 2:05 am  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

re:BOT's

and regurgitating one-word relevance lyrics endlessly and nagging about others' postings is any more relevant to the forum?

not-the-archinect-police

Aug 19, 05 5:33 am  · 
 · 
JordantHarris

Ohhhh... BOTS, you need some solarcaine for that burn? ha. I kid.

Aug 19, 05 8:04 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

come on. my mothers, sons, wifes, sister wants a computer for watching movies and surfing the net.

And the Architectural discourse is.... where?

I'm on a short fuse these days.

Aug 23, 05 10:53 am  · 
 · 
DEVicox

she doesn't need a computer to watch DVD's.
All she has to do, is simply go outside (DVD in hand), look up at the sun and use the DVD to reflect the rays into her eyes.

Aug 23, 05 11:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: