Archinect
anchor

AA in London

OnPui

I will be a new incoming student at the AA in this September. Does anyone know if the school provides a 24 hr studio space?

Aug 11, 05 11:35 am

I believe the AA doesn't provide studio space at all.

Aug 11, 05 11:40 am  · 
 · 
veuxdeux

you should know that kind of thing before you know your going there!

Aug 11, 05 11:46 am  · 
 · 
doberman

you'll only get a studio space there if you're lucky, it's a lottery basically. + you have to pay for it and i don't know if it's 24 hr. It wasn't when i was there. Space is tight in London.

Aug 11, 05 11:58 am  · 
 · 
doberman

OnPui
what program will you be attending at the AA? AADRL students automatically get studio space actually. So do EMTECH and Lanscape Urbanism (i believe). (John Jourden please note how cautious i am in my assertions now, i know you're watching like a hawk!!!).
If you're entering diploma school then my previous post remains valid.

Aug 11, 05 12:22 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not particularly watching your posts doberman. and there are no hard feeling from the last engagement.

I'm not really sure what the AA offers in the way of studios. I've heard that they don't have studio space like "most" schools in the USA do. So I would defer to your knowledge base here.

Aug 11, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

The only quasi-official studio spaces when I was there were for the DRL.

Aug 11, 05 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

JJ. i was just kidding.
i don't bear grudges either and i sure don't post on this site with the intention to make enemies or alienate people.
Studio space is a real bitch to get at the AA, especially in diploma school. I remember that some students used to get really pissed off because some of the guys who managed to get a studio space sometimes ended up working from home and not showing up in studio, therefore wasting some precious resources. I think this is one works. If you can get a studio space then go for it, it's so much better of the reasons why studio spaces are now a 'pay for' service, just to make sure that people who get them use them. Don't know if it and enriching to work alongside other people than in your own little corner.

Aug 11, 05 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

'I think this is one works. If you can get a studio space then go for it, it's so much better of the reasons why studio spaces are now a 'pay for' service, just to make sure that people who get them use them. Don't know if it and enriching to work alongside other people than in your own little corner'

sorry about that non sensical gibberish, not sure what happened there, my text got all mixed up...

i meant:

'I think this is one of the reasons why studio spaces are now a 'pay for' service, just to make sure that people who get them use them. Don't know if it works. If you can get a studio space then go for it, it's so much better to work alongside other people than in your own little corner'.

Aug 11, 05 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
TED

dip has no studio space as they are in bedford sq. there are cheapish workshop spaces near the aa like panter house up the road[10 min walk] that many students rent and share on their own.. when i spoke to brett steele in nov. he said they lock-up and kick all out i think at 10pm from john street where all the MA/MArch studios are so not 24 hours but thats ok. btw, there is a nice pub up the road near grays in that does lock-ups nightly for the locals and one can drink freely till about midnight.

Aug 12, 05 12:12 am  · 
 · 
TED

john street[10 min from bedford sq] are studio spaces for the grad only and the ground floor does have crit spaces. lecture [and bar/lib/bookstore etc] are at 36.

Aug 12, 05 12:15 am  · 
 · 
OnPui

Thank you, all.
I actually emailed my school regarding the studio space. They said that the studio that they provide "normally open until midnight".. I just wish that they can offer a 24 hr studio....
anyway, thank you for all ur advices..

Aug 12, 05 12:39 am  · 
 · 
mouse

There are a limited number of studio spaces for rent to undergraduate students - they were in Tottenham Court Road but will shortly be moving. Go and talk to Alice in the Registrar's Office when you get to London. I don't think they'll be 24 hours, I think they're usually open until 10pm-ish

Aug 12, 05 6:05 am  · 
 · 
drs

Don't try to work 24hrs :D. Have a routine which involves rest and you won't go too crazy.

Aug 12, 05 6:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: