Archinect
anchor

Romance and professionalism

Living in Gin

We just had one of those lunchtime presentations where a vendor comes in and gives a little talk about their product line for AIA credits. Today it was a lady talking about Armstrong ceiling tiles and LEED certification.

But I wasn't interested in that; I was interested in her long dark hair, her large brown eyes, and her pretty smile. I usually keep strict boundaries between my personal life and my professional life, but times like this make it difficult.

Idiot that I am, I didn't think to get her business card after the presentation, and I sat back at my desk kicking myself for not doing so. After a few minutes of that, I decided to wander back over to the conference room to see if she was still there, and got there right when she was leaving. Har arms were loaded with her laptop, brochures, and samples, so I didn't want to make her drop everything just to hand me her card.

She gave me a nice smile as we passed each other in the hallway, and I headed back to my desk with my tail between my legs. Yet another missed opportunity.

Two minutes later, I realize I should have been a gentleman and offered to help her carry all her stuff downstairs to her car. Now I'm kicking myself again. Arrgh!

What are your own tales of romantic encounters in the workplace, either successful or unsuccessful? Where do you draw the line between romance and professionalism?

And most importantly, should I try to track down the Armstrong lady, or just let it go?

Aug 10, 05 2:42 pm
raji

Did she have big hooters? (.)(.)

Aug 10, 05 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

do you wear glasses and have facial hair?

Aug 10, 05 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

huh, none of the threads i read have anything to do with arch.

i have gone there (twice, maybe three times?) with a co-worker (or the like), but after i was no longer employed there... i have to say, the aspect of secrecy did make it all a lot more fun. each of the guys kept the info to themselves, and i have no regrets...

raji, something tells me you're not charming the pants off your coworkers
; )

Aug 10, 05 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

livin, if you're still thinking about her, go ahead and track her down. if nothing else, she will be very very flattered.

Aug 10, 05 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I once went to a print shop to talk to the print technician face to face about getting a presentation drawing done just right. Two days later he emailed me and very nicely said he thought I was cute and would I be interested in going out with him? It was very nice, not at all threatening, and it made my week - I was very flattered. (I was engaged at the time so politely told him no, and that was that.)

Try the company website, or ask whoever set up the lunch-n-learn about contacting her. If you do it politely, she'll be flattered I'm sure. Make sure to mention you feel like a dork for not offering to help carry all those binders! Good luck - nothing ventured, ....

Aug 10, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

very good pointers lb, technique is key.

Aug 10, 05 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

raji: They were nicely proportionate.

el jeffe: No (not counting sunglasses), and usually no (I shave daily).

liberty bell: I was able to find her e-mail address, and did as you suggested... Wish me luck.

Aug 10, 05 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Jeez most of the google image good luck results are stupid little bears and crap....

Aug 10, 05 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

geez... why am i so interested in this thread? am i that bored @ work?... =P

anyway, good luck, and keep us posted!!!

Aug 10, 05 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

My tag line for the day: Vai com Deus! Just one more thing to miss about the real world.

Aug 10, 05 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

But did you do the ever-so-important task of checking for a ring on her finger?

Aug 10, 05 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Of course... She had some sort of ring, but it didn't look like any wedding or engagement ring I've ever seen.

Aug 10, 05 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I miss:
* Wallcovering & Fabric Reps
* Corporate XMas parties
* Hoping that Security doesn't have the keys for the Plan Room
* Working in a Bldg that is 50% single & under 35

Aug 11, 05 8:16 am  · 
 · 
momentum

does working on a strip club help MM?

Aug 11, 05 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
kyll

rain dance i shall upon your parade...

if she's that attractive, 69.99% chance she's taken by someone just as charming as yourself.

so just stalk her.

Aug 11, 05 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, I got my response. She's up for coffee as long as we keep things strictly platonic. Apparently her employer has an issue with sales reps getting into relationships with clients. (Conflict of interest? It's the Chicago Wayâ„¢!) Hopefully we'll be able to get together after work sometime next week.

Aug 11, 05 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
JK664

livin in gin man the hell up and make some moves enough of this sobby nonsense go for the biscutts!

Aug 11, 05 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

you're partially in...don't kill it

Aug 11, 05 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

platonic? if you really loved her gin, you would quit your job and marry that girl.

Aug 11, 05 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Theoretically, I wouldn't be able to work for any architecture firm in the city, as they've all probably been an Armtrong client at one point or another. But at least our dream house would have a nice ceiling system.

Aug 11, 05 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

excellent work. Your name should change to Grabbing Life by the Balls in Gin.

We in Ohio are partial to Lees Carpet reps. That goes for both genders.

Aug 12, 05 1:01 am  · 
 · 

i love it! thanks for the update. you're almost at first base!!! she wants to put up all the defenses but she knows she can't resist your sheepish charms! Look Gin, sit back and relax. have coffee...play it cool. (don't start thinking about that ceiling system just yet).

Aug 12, 05 1:42 am  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

aww... where's liberty bell? she's got to know.

Aug 12, 05 6:17 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Momentum,
It's just not the same. Since I'm married now, I've gotta be all 'professional' (dammitt). Anyway, the 8'7" bouncers would kinda discourage me from making moves...not to mention AIDS, VD (yes, I'm a square- I learned abt sex from 1950s military training fims), drug addicts, alcoholics, single-mom dancers, fugitive boyfriends of those dancers, ex-cons, psychos, neurotics & a parking lot that boots your car if you're there too long.

Aside from that, if I was younger & single, I'd be in a lot of trouble. Hmmm, I already did that.

Aug 12, 05 8:50 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

And speaking of strip clubs, just where is that nice Liberty Bell?

Aug 12, 05 8:52 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Living in Gin WAHOOO!!!!!!!! Foot in the door. If she was truly interested in keeping it just "professional" she would have just said "I can't have personal relationships with clients" AKA no way am I going out with you.

After 15 years in this business I know this: people in product rep/sales positions move from job to job frequently. So hang in there, if things go well, she may become a rep for USG instead and then you can have plaster walls instead of gyp in your dream home.

Man, I am so proud of you Living in Gin for being bold and attempting to fix what had been a lost opportunity!! I hope we can all be emboldened today to follow suit.

PS Mystery I'm glad to hear that when you think of strip clubs you think of me ;)

Aug 12, 05 10:12 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Liberty,
I'm gonna find a way to integrate a big brass bell into one of these places just to honor thou!

Aug 12, 05 10:51 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

You mean a bell with a big cr....

No, no I just can't say it.

Aug 12, 05 10:57 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

BTW, Living in Gin, now the big question becomes "When will it or will it ever be appropriate for me to mention to her that I posted this topic on archinect?" I'd venture that you don't want to bring this up too soon...but maybe not, maybe she would think it's cute that you did this - I know I would have, but then I waste too many hours of my day here like some kinda archi-nerd after all....(goes away mumbling to self...)

Aug 12, 05 11:06 am  · 
 · 
momentum

MM, you could make the big brass bell like the ones at arbys. They say: "ring if you thought your service was great"

or demand that the club owner have a fisherman's theme.... that could be ass ociated wth bells right?

oh yeah, my wife wont let me near a strip club, and has threatened bodily harm if i do go near one.

Aug 12, 05 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: