Archinect
anchor

portfolio questions

vbontu12

I'm a high school senior getting ready to apply to architecture programs. The problem is that i've only recently taken art classes and most of them have been drawing. Most colleges require about 12-15 pieces of work. I participated in USC Exploration of Architecture program this summer so I can submit work from that, but do you think its possible to come up with some good pieces in the next few months. My drawing skills are fairly good so my portfolio will mostly showcase that. Do you think I should include paintings and other medias for variety even if they aren't as good as my drawings.

Aug 9, 05 2:36 pm
lletdownl

i would personally say include a variety of things, it seems to me that they are looking for aptitude... not necessarily that you already have skills to be an architect, but that you are capable... so include sketches, models, paintings, anything you think displays your talents

Aug 9, 05 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

You can definitely do this- it's the same thing I did! Just spend a lot of your free time (maybe even class time) drawing. Don't include anything that you think of as lesser work. If you feel the need to develop variety, and drawing is your strength, try including both basic graphite sketches as well as any of the following: colored pencil, charcoal or pastel (you can buy the pencil style if that makes it easier for you), and/or ink drawings. Hopefully you find that you have talent with at least one of these other options in addition to graphite, which will let you seem to have variety without including a media that you are less talented at. Quality over quantity!

Aug 9, 05 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

never put work that will hurt your chances of getting into an arch school. i don't think professors are looking at a portfolio that has a good presentation of a variety of work. i think they look at how the applicant processes ideas into different kinds of form. there are applicants who got into Cornell simply because one or two of their works within the portfolio really stood out to them. the scary thing is, you never know what professors are really looking for.

good luck! i'm also applying for arch schools the coming fall

AIM-sashimi46

Aug 9, 05 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
aemkei

I'd say you'd want to showcase a combination of architectural curiosity and the ability to express and convey your ideas (most importantly in visual form ofcourse). I tried to focus on work that showed that I was interested in the relationship form/function and in understanding different cultural phenomena rather than on the paintings, drawings or whatever that LOOKED really good. I even discarded stuff that I to this day still concider some of my more beautiful pieces of art just cause they didn't show this. There was however an upper limit to how many pieces of work I could submit, or they would have been included as well.

Don't know if it's the right approach or not, but it worked for me. Good luck with your application!

Aug 10, 05 10:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: