Archinect
anchor

environments...

aries83

What is the ideal movie theater environment and experience?

Aug 9, 05 2:29 pm

that depends: for whom, for how many, for where, for when, etc?

who says there IS an ideal? why can't we appreciate that there just might be a number of variations of movie theater environment and experience that might all be excellent?

you might just as well ask, 'what is the ideal color?'

Aug 9, 05 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

blue

Aug 9, 05 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
anti

yellow, damnit

Aug 9, 05 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

im sorry, we should respect this question...
honestly... my ideal theatre environment would include privacy kind of booths for 2 3 4 how ever many ... with couches... you could by wine or beer and what not, and you could smoke in case it was a trippy movie

Aug 9, 05 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

whoa, lletdownl: you'd have to BUY the drinks in your ideal theater? mine would have to be open bar.

...and maybe you could smoke if you wanted, but the smoke would be undetectable by any others in the space.

Aug 9, 05 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My ideal movie theater experience would be every Brad Pitt movie ever made playing simultaneously on individual enormous screens with surround sound blasting Ike Reilly and Cake while I lounge in an Eames chair and drink beer.

Oh sorry that's my ideal OFFICE environment.

Aug 9, 05 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

well, watching brad in that getup from 'troy' while listening to 'i am an opera singer' (loud enough that you can't hear the dialogue, natch) WOULD be classic. beer would be a bonus.

Aug 9, 05 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hahaha well of course, Steven - it goes without saying that I don't need to HEAR the movies in my ideal theater. Except for 12 Monkeys, he was so good in that. Well, OK, and Fight Club too. And Snatch.

Aug 9, 05 4:08 pm  · 
 · 

can i come work for you? we can alternate brad pitt movies with audrey hepburn movies. (only if the beer is in the bargain, though.)

since we both have little ones, we could also check out the baby einstein vids while playing club music really loud. those things freak me out at home, but i think they'd work great at a club... they have that same non sequitur feel that the vj/djs seem to like.

Aug 9, 05 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I have a feeling Paul Rubens and I would have similar responses

Aug 9, 05 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Bottles of both the alcohol and milk type are welcome in my office.

Kid's toys can be very sinister in some contexts.

Aug 9, 05 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

mdler - you sir, win the prize for today.

I like the old opulent orpheums, I don't think (unlike the current news obsession) that private viewing is all that much better, but I do feel that going to a theater should be an experience. I'm not just paying to see a movie, but I'm paying to see a movie in style, something sitting at home watching a dvd will never give me. Having seen movies like Lord of the Rings at midnight in a fantastic turn of the century theater, I can tell you that was an experience I won't forget.. Not only the atmosphere of the audience but the nature of the theater, (there was an organ that played before the show, lighting, gargoyles, etc.) It all felt like sitting in a palace. I think that while DVD has helped lead to diminishing theatre revenues, most losses comes from diminished experience, as new theaters are just rectangular boxes with crappy seating and can lights.

Rant Concluded. Grammatical Errors abound.

Aug 9, 05 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

architecturegeek,

does 'winning the prize' increase my chances...

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=22925_0_42_50_C

Aug 10, 05 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: