Archinect
anchor

Material World

Rebekah

Imagine: It's sunset and you are sitting outside enjoying the evening. A ray reflects off the nearest building. Mabye the one next to you glows.
In moments of reflection, what materials are you drawn to? What do you find yourself taking a closer look at? What can you sit back and stare at?

Aug 8, 05 1:12 am
momentum

for me, looking at something with "temporal depth". anything that looks extremely weathered by time. my favorite structure is an old concrete plant in san antonio. its windows are shattered, the steel is rusted to hell in some areas, and the concrete has rust stains down its sides. the wooden planks are broken and falling off, but still have the paint which is wearing thin. weeds and vines are also running rampant. i can look at it and almost feel like i am reading the building, and its past.

i'd have to say the same for shipping containers. the material is worn, dented, and rusting. the original markers are still there though weathered and maybe there is some grafitti on it. i have to wonder where the grafitti occured, where the container has been, what's inside?, and what it has held in the past.

hope i made sense.

Aug 9, 05 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: