Archinect
anchor

school career services

taboho

How would you rate the career services (internship/job placement, portfolio and resume reviews, career fairs, etc.) offered at your school?

Aug 7, 05 6:08 am

Those who went there could always find *something* to complain about, but after talking with people from other schools, it's clear they were pretty much top of the line.
We did a firm fair each semester, and the Architectural Guild did a resume workshop before each one. APX members got their own resume/portfolio workshop with a bit more personal attention as well. Every year there were several internships offered with scholarships attached on top of hourly pay that the school set up. When you graduated, you turned in 2000 resumes and a survey listing your geographical, financial and type-of-work preferences. I got around 40 interview requests from that, even though I said I only wanted to work in the LA area and listed a somewhat high salary requirement.

Aug 8, 05 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i'd rate ours as poor. the career services person was for the whole college of design, meaning fine arts, interiors, landscape, etc etc, not just architecture. basically all they would do is give you a list of alumni who worked at a place you wanted to if you asked for it.
they did have a portfolio seminar but I didn't go and heard it wasn't very good. we had an annual job fair with a few local firms turning out.

mostly, if you were concerned about getting a job, you were not working hard enough on your school work was the view of 80% of the profs and about 95% of the studio instructors.

Aug 8, 05 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
kazbot

in my undergrad it was non-existant. basically, our career support was possibly getting a summer job helping remodel one of the professors houses, or, if you were chummy enough with one particular professor, an actual job with a firm he was connected to. (most professors were based at the school and didnt really seem to be all that concerned with professional connections) no one talked about it at all in studio or class, us students we not all that concerned with jobs, the biggest thing was getting through the fifth year thesis. the department posted job listings occasionally, but i dont think many people even noticed. they were small local places, not quite the type of firm our soon-to-be grads were targeting. the major source for job related info was after graduation when the students would crank out portfolios in the computer lab and talk about where and how they were applying. the university had resources, actually quite good ones, but mostly geared toward business majors, and those resources were never mentioned within the department. you had to be a little pro-active in that case. i can only hope that situation has changed in the last 3 years.

Aug 9, 05 1:56 am  · 
 · 
joe

can people also tell what school they are going/went to.

as far as my school SCAD... the carrer services are for the whole school. all 7000 of us. so needless to say I am not anticipating anything worth while whatsoever. do it on my own probably. although they do have a small career fair with local architects and firms once a year.. pretty sure its once a year anyway.

Aug 9, 05 2:20 am  · 
 · 
s4

kazbot, i had a very similar experience in my undergrad [penn state]. the career support there has not changed much in the past years, unfortunately. there has since been established a small annual fair, but attracts only local firms or by chance someone who knows one of the higher up profs and is looking for a recent grad. as you mentioned, most of the buzz about firms, cities, and hires comes from within the student body itself. it requires a great deal of proactive searching, especially if one wants to leave the immediate area. in my class it was somewhat divided during the last spring semester- students who wanted to get out and find a job; and students who were focused on finishing thesis up, leaving job hunting to the weeks after final reviews.

Aug 9, 05 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
kazbot

well, thats a whole lot more than they had when i went there . . . (did i mention psu? yeah, b.arch penn state university, 2002) i guess theres alway hope. as far as i can tell, the program has only gotten better in general, and mostly due to student feedback. everybody, make your voice heard with the department! sometimes it actually works. so s4, did you know i went to penn state?

Aug 9, 05 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
s4

you're right, it has definitely improved, and it is due to students voicing their concerns with the dept. yes i knew kazbot, i checked your archinect bio, only after thinking your post sounded very familiar to my own experience :)

Aug 9, 05 9:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: