Archinect
anchor

ques for uc co-op students

designrocks

i am interested in the daap co-op program- but i have some ques. How exactly does the school set you up with a co-op? Do they relay your samples of your work to various firms or do you design websites/digital portfolios? And where do students ususally co-op? I am interested in firms mixing architecture and fine art such as openoffice nyc- i would greatly appreciate any info. thanks

Aug 6, 05 11:24 am
mdler

the UC co-op program can work one of two ways...

1) there is a list of firms that usually take UC co-ops. You tell the co-op adviser which firms you would like to work for, and he / she contacts them on your behalf to get the process started. You then send resume, portfolio, etc. These firms have usually taken UC co-ops before, so they are used to the process and quality of the students.

2) decide where you want to work, and send that firm your portfolio, resume, and a letter telling the firm about UC's co-op program. If the firm wants to hire you for a co-op, you tell the co-op office and they (usually) will let you work at that office. (the co-op office is always trying to place students in other firms not on the list)

If you have never worked in an architecture office before, I would suggest getting a job with one of the firms on the 'list' for your first few co-ops. These firms are more likely to hire people with little or no experience. Naturally, the more experience and education you have (as well as a more developed portfolio) the easier it will be to get a job with the more selective firms.

As for the architecture / fine arts thing...people were taking jobs with engineers, construction companies, woodworking companies, graphic / video companies, and calling them architecture co-ops. If you are creative in 'selling' the co-op to the co-op advisers, you should be able to work in most any office.

Aug 8, 05 2:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: