Archinect
anchor

Cameron Sinclair!!

Mum

I opened the Washington Post this morning and thought I recognized a fellow archinecter! Nice article, Cameron. Congratulations!

Aug 6, 05 7:59 am
BOTS

From the post...

EVENTS . . . A lecture, "Design Like You Give a Damn," is scheduled for 8 to 9:30 p.m. Thursday at the National Building Museum, 401 F St. NW, Washington. Cameron Sinclair of Architecture for Humanity is to discuss his visit to South Asia to tour areas devastated by a tsunami. The talk is worth 1.5 continuing-education credits for professionals. Admission is $17, or $5 for students; registration is required. For information, call 202-272-2448; Web site: http://www.nbm.org./

sounds good, shame it's across the pond

Aug 6, 05 10:53 am  · 
 · 
Read
Aug 6, 05 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

damn... I do like the way they note that I'm broke - nice. I'm sure my parents would be proud.

oh mum (or anyone in DC) could you pick up a couple of extra copies as the Post doesn't make it as far as Montana.

Cheers

Aug 6, 05 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Mum

I'll see what I can scrape up. Are you at the Bozeman Montana address on your website?

Aug 6, 05 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

YEAH. Until Aug 24th then I am on the road for 6 weeks (india and sri lanka)

Aug 6, 05 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
geno

'Bob Geldoff of Architecture'.

One could not ask for a more illustrious moniker.

Congrats.

Aug 6, 05 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

well, i'm impressed and i rarely say that. unfortunately, i'm not really sure what i could do to help. still, i suspect that as architects the reason we aspire for the fancy commissions and personal fame is not so much that we don't care about issues like housing and poverty but rather that we are trying to make our first contribution by keeping our own selfs housed and out of poverty.

tough questions, but AFH is making a very admirable effort. carry on.

Aug 6, 05 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

fantastic!

Aug 6, 05 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

hey Cameron, the article mentions you stopped at Target. What became of that? Was it for the aid packages you were talking about back in Bozeman?

Aug 6, 05 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

yeah that was one of the things - was there to talk to them about 'design for all' - their new moniker.

Alas the only thing Geldof and I have in common is that I am also not partial to Mondays.

/it's way too wierd to post in a thread where your own name is the title.

Architecturegeek, what's up with the thousands of ?moths? flying around Bozeman. Last night there must have been 5 or 600 up against the wall of the Cannery.

Aug 6, 05 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

No shit.. It seems to happen every summer. If your up on campus look at the lights, you'd swear its snowing. Weird, like a 50's sci fi. ATTACK OF THE MOTHS!!!

Aug 6, 05 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

congratulations on the coverage Cam, good stuff!

Aug 7, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
johndevlin

(mind you don't get burnt out)
the next step for you down the road is to get knighted by the Queen

Aug 7, 05 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
johndevlin

(then the Nobel Peace Prize?)

Aug 7, 05 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

no more prizes without funding attached... ..we need to develop a sustainable funding stream and have a strong in-house team.

them: 'here's a prize for doing this for 6 years without a salary, we're really impressed.'

me: 'can i eat it?'

them: 'uh, no why?'

me: 'can I melt it down and sell it for scrap?'

them: 'uh....'

Aug 7, 05 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

nobel pays moolah

Aug 7, 05 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

Try thinking of St. Stephen whenever things seem impossible. The tsunami did happen "on the feast of Stephen" after all.

"One of the first deacons and the first Christian martyr; feast on 26 December. In the Acts of the Apostles the name of St. Stephen occurs for the first time on the occasion of the appointment of the first deacons (Acts, vi, 5). Dissatisfaction concerning the distribution of alms from the community's fund having arisen in the Church, seven men were selected and specially ordained by the Apostles to take care of the temporal relief of the poorer members. Of these seven, Stephen, is the first mentioned and the best known."
--excerpt Catholic Encyclopedia Online

I wonder whether Stephen's feast was placed the day after Christmas because he was the next to die for Christianity, after Christ, that is.

[The discovery of Stephen's relics occurred 3 August 415.]

Aug 7, 05 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i believe that wangari maathai received about 1.3 million us dollars for her award last year.

all kidding aside, i think cameron has a decent chance at it. part of the nobel mission is to allow for use of the money in aiding the resolution of the conflicts. given that last year they awarded to a women for planting trees (sorry for the gross generalization), then why not AFH?

i'm not eligible to nominate anybody myself (despite by honary doctorate from le bossman) but apparently some college professors are, so anybody out there want to write up a proposal for our good friend cameron?

more info is available here. including who is eligible to make nominations.

Aug 7, 05 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
johndevlin

Sir Cameron Sinclair sounds very august.
but does this mean you will cease to be subversive and will cave in to the Establishment?

Aug 7, 05 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
johndevlin

also try thinking of St Jude when causes seem hopeless (Rita can fill you in on more about him).

Aug 7, 05 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

actually puddles there are usually around 4/500 people nominated - even Bush was nominated last year, if he deserves the 'peace prize' pretty much anyone's on the cards... the only Nobel I'm going to get will be an email from Philip Nobel..

Alas the closest prize the creative world has got is the MacArthur ($500K) and that didn't turn out to well for the last architect who got it. Everytime someone mentions I've 'got a shot', I think of Sambo.

oh and John, there is a reason I left England and it had nothing to do with a pair-shaped rosy cheeked lass.

Aug 7, 05 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

ok, cameron if you're not interested then i will go back to my efforts to get abracabra the prize for his humanitarian efforts on the "dear abra" thread.

as for past nominations, you are correct as there have been some pretty suspect ones over the years. still, i'd love to see an architect be recognized provided the work was congruent with nobel's intent. as for the large number of nominations, i'd imagine that you would probably have to be nominated a few times just to get on their radar screen before you could actually win, but now i am just speculating.

ha det bra!

Aug 7, 05 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

Hit Jimmy Carter up for some cash!

He's got the building thing (Habitat) and he's into helping people (or appears to be)

You just need a few goons to go along with you and convince Jimmy he needs to underwrite AFH for a few years. I mean he's old, and he only has a couple of Secret Service Members..how hard could it be. :D shh think they're listening in now.

Aug 8, 05 12:15 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

Jimmy is only on the board of H4H. The Fuller just got fired and its' a mess.

The religious thing is also a problem. Also they had a problem with the title of our book 'Design Like You Give A Damn' as some people might think that we are saying that humanitarian work is blasphemy...

Puddle, I'm not saying don't try, I just think it's a huge long shot.. but Abra should get some prize...

Aug 8, 05 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
geno

that is so discouraging to hear about H4H - the part about the religion.

i've always had this idea that although Jimmy espoused such beliefs, he was held up by stronger visions of the world, humanity, etc. his mom entered missionary work at a really old age and i believe was quite taken up with Eastern religions. now that's blasphemy!

he's the only religious fanatic I've ever been able to admire. and the only president to include humanitarian work as part of his legacy to any significant degree - other than a monumental library. ugh.

I guess it's important to realize that Jimmy is NOT H4H - just the public figure everyone associates with it.

keep truckin Cameron.
do you ever employ landscape architects?

Aug 9, 05 2:57 am  · 
 · 
johndevlin

can't Carter at least nominate you for the NPP

Aug 9, 05 5:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: