Archinect
anchor

Will Your Work Be Remembered?

ivebNevrwhurMAN

Have you done something that's a landmark? A fixture that will never get torn down? How about something that you'd rather that others forget, but won't go away. This doesn't really have to be something that made 'Dwell', or gets talked about in schools, although I'd like to hear about that, too.

This is a landmark of the nutty kind & the guy that designed it had no idea of its significance:

http://www.bigchickenchorus.org/BigChickenLandmark.html

Aug 4, 05 10:50 pm

well I'm working on an addition that my predessor did and its on a stamp. There's another building we did together that should be on a stamp so i'm keeping my fingers crossed - sure way to be remembered. But I doubt either one will ever get list - poor me

Aug 4, 05 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

This may sound hopelessly corny, but it's true: if it's a choice between my work or me being remembered, I'd choose me.

Aug 5, 05 12:18 am  · 
 · 
citizen

But, I have to say, I love that giant chicken.

Aug 5, 05 12:19 am  · 
 · 
TED

yes

Aug 5, 05 12:35 am  · 
 · 
inkwray

i agree with ted on my behalf

Aug 5, 05 12:52 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

like tears in the rain, everything will disappear ...

Aug 5, 05 1:12 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Awww you guys know how to kill a thread. OK, here's one of mine - the restrooms @ a large broadcast facility.....errr, wait a minute, they demo'd them. But thouisands knew my work!

Aug 5, 05 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
mwad

I dont know...on google my namesakes are way ahead of me. There's a NFL Cornerback, a TV Host on a hunting show, and someone wanted by U.S. Marshall's...

Aug 5, 05 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
mwad

Even this kid is ahead of me on google-

Diane Agostonelli, the House Administrator, nominated Michael.
As he was having lunch in the school cafeteria, two boys began to fight.
Michael stepped in and assisted in separating the boys until further
help arrived. As the boys were fighting several children just watched
while Michael took it upon himself to stop the before someone was injured.

Congratulations Michael ________ for, " Doing the Right Thing".

Aug 5, 05 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
RankStranger

Speaking of namesakes, I got pulled over for speeding a couple years ago. The cop kept asking me these funny questions like, do you have any drugs in the car? do you use drugs? do you mind if we search your car for drugs? I said, uh, sure I guess. He said it would be awhile until the dogs got out there but just hold on. Then i was like fuck this, I'm not waiting for your dogs to get out here, can you tell me what this is about? He said in response to my prior record, being on parole etc. etc. WTF? Apparently there is a guy in Illinois with my same name, same exact birthdate that is a convicted drug dealer. GREAT.

Aug 5, 05 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
pasha

yes, my tombstone..

muhahahah! (evil laugh)

Aug 5, 05 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

Since memory is really a mental reenactment, perhaps the better question is, "Will your work will be reenacted?"

Be careful though, because reenactment without giving credit to the source is plagiarism.

A bit of my work was 'remembered' by David R. Marshall in "Piranesi, Juvarra, and the Triumphal Bridge Tradition" (in The Art Bulletin, June 2003) when in footnote 155 Marshall states, "...but the Area Martis through to the Nynpheum Neronis, including the Templum Martis is a hieroglyph of St. Peter's, to which it corresponds topographically." Marshall does not name the 1999 source of this information, however. Furthermore, Marshall's note is misinformation in that the Porticus Neroniani and not the Nympheum Neronis forms part of the 'hieroglyph'. (Note also how 'pagan - christian - triumphal way' follows immediately after the 'hieroglyph' within "Inside the Density of G.B. Piranesi's Ichnographia Campi Martii.)

Yes, a bit of my work has been reenacted, and I'll now make sure that it is remebered that David R. Marshall did the "reenacting."

Aug 5, 05 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
norm

...they'll be showing those damn cheers re-runs for-f'n-ever.

Aug 5, 05 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

lasting IMPRESSION, I'm sure

Aug 5, 05 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I can't even remember what I am working on NOW.

Aug 5, 05 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

absolutely not, im pretty much worthless... but seriously folks... no

Aug 5, 05 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
ivebNevrwhurMAN

Well, these are definitely answers.

Aug 5, 05 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
mwad

Poor Joe.

Aug 5, 05 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
jpalmer

i know i won't be remembered, but i'm trying to have a kicka$$ time being easy to forget

Aug 5, 05 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
6nuew

Im not sure if I want to be remembered or not.

Aug 6, 05 11:24 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Soane drew his bank of england in ruins. Maybe this is how things should be designed? screw context, think eternity!

Aug 8, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

I proudly occupy the first two pages on google when I search for me :D

Aug 8, 05 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

That's funny signum, when I searched for you I found a bunch of weird companies in foreign countries.

;o)

Aug 8, 05 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

lol :p

Aug 8, 05 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
OlDirtyArchitect

I've always wanted to design the "Hideous Building." It would be a very inappropriate building and be hated by all, primarily on an ethical level. So I think naturally, it would be quite a controversial project, and wherever it would be, people would come to see it just for it's awfulness. Obviously it would be in America and I think the primary difficulty would be to top some of the awful buildings that already exist, but I'm sure I can do it. This is building that I hope would be remembered forever because it would be the only work, that I know of, which would base it's success on people's disdain for it.

Aug 8, 05 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

isn't that the architectural equivalent of someone comitting murder to become famous?

Aug 8, 05 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
OlDirtyArchitect

No, because I don't want to become infamous. I just want to design an intionally bad building that will become infamous.

Aug 8, 05 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

A center for Ants? ---

Aug 8, 05 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
e

i just hope i remember my work.

Aug 8, 05 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
jpalmer

the infamous el guapo
the infamous- that means more than famous.
he's not just famous he's infamous.

Aug 8, 05 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

OlDirtyArchitect,
The odds of you succeeding with your insidious plot are greater than winning the lottery. Believe me, i keep trying, but sthen I sober up. Anyway, they keep demo-ing my stuff, so every time I try to show someone, the evidence is gone.

Aug 9, 05 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
OlDirtyArchitect

I hear you for sure, and trust me, I know I've set out to accomplish a lot, but it can be done. By 2 ways: betting on everybody involved in the project's culmination to completely lack in true taste or understanding of form, or finding the necessary investors who can easily free the project from any obstacles encountered. Either way, i'd say there's a good chance for success, or in this case, failure.

Aug 10, 05 12:28 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

vAI COM dEUS, MEU AMIGO! It sounds like an endeavor worth pursuit. Kinda like the Mercury project, or 'breaking the 4 minute mile...if they ever do that.:
I'd like to join in on this. Together, we'll bring Architecture to it's knees, MWah HAHA!

Aug 10, 05 10:22 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Stonehenge is just another remain of an aincient 3D-H .
What it do not show is easy to see, it do not show how easy you place floors or rather frames

Aug 10, 05 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

no. :(

Aug 10, 05 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

The Pyramids
Na you Romans proberly still think, someone acturly chisseled bibilons of square meter, all exact 90 deg. and ---------Eh did you ever try move a heavy furniture into a corner ; then make it into an 80 tonn edgy thing to exactly fit with others already placed. No Pyramids came in buckets.
Some smart guy proberly could veawe a 3D-Solid framework assembly to form a pyramide shape but, in architectural terms the Pyramide are useless as a house ;easy to ecape impossible to enter , and instead of going on with the most obvious digital, you romans turn to descriptive arts, when quality homes and strait structure is the issue.
Rather Pyramide talk than progressive digital architecture, the new one. The one where you go strait to acturly building the thing, your concept the prospect in just starting digital manufactoring, realy don't you think that to make it smal, you need to do it great first, isn't this how you allway's progressed anyway ????
Romans.

Aug 10, 05 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
plexus 1

per....i believe it is finally time for that lobotomy.

Aug 10, 05 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi
Art center when you refere this picture ;

http://www.soane.org/graphics/ruins.jpg

Remember that you could develob a sheet steel reuse product, from just riviting layers of flattened ships plate , it will be so strong as the gates before hell, and your ruin picture could all be produced to last 1000 years, in N.C. Cut sheet assembly --- even the ruins will be the most rugid lasting ruin ever made as great a ruin any ruin will be, and at the same time perfect safe houses quality rooms ,great spaces at a third the cost ,done digital and efficient , this way also very much supporting Solid modeling , Why is it building a Ruin isn't just the attitude ? --- Eh doing it the right way make it a structural whole, why shuldn't ruin shaped buildings not form nice spaces ?
This is what vorry me about modern buildings enginering, they know it can be done 4 times better still 20 production lines are still thought to be cheaper, to point to the future methods.

Aug 10, 05 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Per-

Aug 10, 05 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

plexus , -- four of me ????
Great Im'e the only one I ever been able to work with.

Aug 10, 05 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
mwad

that rabbit is blowing minds!

Aug 10, 05 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

he doesn't have to make sense,
per already is famous!

Aug 10, 05 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell
http://home20.inet.tele.dk/h-3d/Spacerun.JPG
Aug 10, 05 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
ether

acfa - that picture reminds me of this website.

Aug 10, 05 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
yenafar

get a domain ... post some pix and text there,
google will always remember you...

Aug 10, 05 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
mwad

That cat website is hilarious!

Aug 10, 05 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: