Archinect
anchor

Anyone design snowboards?

alliecat

i'm a big fan of snowboarding and was wondering if anyone has ever designed snowboards or their graphics, and if so how did you like it...
i know Jager Di Paola Kemp is burton's design firm... anybody worked there?

Aug 4, 05 5:56 pm
A Center for Ants?
http://www.monsonboards.com/
http://www.donek.com/

two companies that do custom snowboards (you can do your own graphic) if you're interested...

from what I know about the board industry. the board makers are very much separate from the graphic designers. the graphics are pretty much like a comission based thing which is greatly influenced by what the pro riders want on their pro-model boards.

Aug 4, 05 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
Bula

Not first hand…

But back in HS (during the Terje/ Jamie Lynn / early jibber era) I had a friend whom I regularly skied/ boarded with who did. One day, out of the blue, my friend starts this big rant about how he was going to start up a snowboard company. Needless to say we all thought he was full of shit (and would subsequently hassle him for it). No less than 6 months later after his boastful claim, the first prototype snowboard was made.

What made this all possible is that his father owned an manufacturing plant that fabricated various parts for the aerospace industry (loaded$). His dad was skeptical at first, but eventually supported him and gave him the money to purchase the necessary manufacturing equipment. He also hired a designer who created most of the art (the first prototype was a graffiti style design of an insane man holding a black round bomb with a lit fuse). The name of the company is “5150”. After a few years of very fast and successful growth, his father (who was the “real” owner) elected to sell to company to Ride Industries for what I think was something like a cool 7+ million.

As for me, I will never forget the days of free boards and bindings ;)

Aug 4, 05 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

Monson (see link above) had a competition a few years ago to design snowboard graphics, and I think salomon also had one in the last year or two... I entered the monson one, but I've never been paid to do it... But yeah, I think ACfA is pretty much right, they either have an in-house graphics department or they subcontract graphic designers for that (or both, more likely.)

This guy at apt 13 did some designs for burton.. I don't know if they got produced or not...

why do you ask?

Aug 4, 05 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
innov8rdi

snowboarding was the last thing i thought i'd see as an archinect thread!

bula... still talk to your friend...? :) i didn't know 5150 was owned by ride... but i do know ride was purchased by k2.

alliecat, im with you - i think it would be awesome to design my own board. do you have any designs in mind?

Aug 4, 05 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
alliecat

my job is good, but not great,, and i am always thinking of alternative, but related careers to architecture...
so i was getting ready for work a couple of weeks ago and thought to myself, 'if i could go do anything in the world right now, what would it be?'... 'snowboard' came out on the top of my list...

so i started thinking about how rad it would be to get sponsored and just ride for a living, and then i could design my own board and travel the world and like would just be great!

but if that plan doesn't pan out, i still think it would be fun to design boards and graphics... so i have researched this topic somewhat, and realized that large companies like burton and k2 do separate the engineering of the board and the graphics, or leave the graphics up to the rider's name thats on the board.... but i was wondering about smaller companies or start up companies, do they sub out their graphics as well?

Bula - that is an encouraging story illustrating that 'it can be done'... except i don't have a wealthy father or access to airplane parts... i do, however live near an airport...

innov - i always have designs and ideas in mind, but nothing down on paper...

Aug 5, 05 8:30 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I have two Monson boards that I had made with my graphics (they actually asked for the designs after the contest and they were published in Snowboarding Mag, or something like that, never did get the magazine). Never ridden on them, not sure if I ever will.
I keep riding my old LibTech.

Ryan and his brother (never could remember his name) Monson are great guys. I really wish they would have kep the competition goiong, but it was a lot to manage. Why companies like Burton make great products, nice websites/graphics, but then make HORRIBLE looking boards is beyond me. I'll stick with LibTech for graphics and I've loved my board.

Aug 5, 05 9:07 am  · 
 · 
alliecat

yeah, i checked out that monson page and it was 2003...

i think i'm looking for a design-build-design snowboard company.. i'm in colorado right now, so i'm sure there are a few around...

Aug 5, 05 9:18 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Tell whoever you find to make a snowboard w/ out-riggers. Kind of like training wheels. My axx & knees are still healing up from my first snowboard attempt...10yrs ago.

Aug 5, 05 9:43 am  · 
 · 
Bula

innov8rdi: I still see that friend every now and then… he lives in the bay area and is doing CG design.

K2 has acquired many well known companies over the past few years (Ride+5150, Morrow, Liquid, etc.). After Ride purchased 5150 their stock shot up the next day (we gave my friend a hard time for not giving us some advanced insider information). I really think Ride mismanaged the inherited image and quality of 5150....the boards just went south after the acquisition. Morrow used to manufacture quality boards as well…not sure how well they stack up now under K2’s control.

I have been out of the “industry” side of things for more than 5 years (lived in Jackson Hole for a few seasons). I am not into the park scene and own a single 178 that I break out for powder days. I only board locally at Mt.Baldy (L.A.) when there is at least a 12”+ snowfall over a decent base (this last winter was pretty exceptional) or the occasional trip to Mammoth/ Tahoe/ Jackson Hole (to visit my friends who never left Neverland).

Aug 5, 05 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
alliecat

i'm stoked, i just got the Arborpush for my birthday... its built with a bamboo topsheet that should provide more strength and pop on the mountain... i'm picking up some burton lexa bindings next week, and i'll be set... only a few more months til opening day!

Aug 11, 05 8:55 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

arbor's are gorgeous. i love their S-series boards but I got a killer deal on a Never Summer 164 Titan so i got that instead as my powpow board

looking at getting maybe an arbor or GNU to fill the midrange board

I love Never Summers (built in CO) and Arbors. Also like any of the mervin manufactred stuff.

allie-

look into working for Mervin. they're a manufacturer that makes boards for the likes of LibTech, GNU, and Roxy. All solid boards. burton bindings are pretty good but i find them a bit heavy. try looking at the Drake F60s. stoked for you on the arbor though.

Bula-

agreed. baldy is good (finally a place with some decent steeps) but everywhere else is sorta mediocre. and a 178?!? do you even turn?

Aug 11, 05 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
alliecat

yeah, its going to be tough to resist riding the arbor early season, but at least i can trash my old one in the park...

i checked out the drakes as suggested, but i'm digging the toe holster on the Lexa's... my current set up has Rossignol bindings which hurt like a mother... they don't hug my feet in the right spots... my heel is constantly coming up, so i'm hoping the toe strap will help the issue...

i'll definitely look into Mervin, thanks for the tip

Aug 11, 05 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

what language is that???

Aug 11, 05 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
Bula

Allie- That is a great looking board. I have been out of the loop for a while, but I remeber hearing of Arbor (SoCal based I think) a long time ago and I believe they manufacture a quality board. I really love the use of bamboo!

ACfA- I agree on the Never Summer’s…I love those boards. I had one around 6 or 7 years ago that I destroyed in rock garden at Baldy one season. As for my 178, it is a 7+ year old prototype board that Marker made (yes, the ski bindings mfgr) and loves to scream down steep powder lines. It was one of the first boards to have a black carbon fiber base. I really only make a point to go boarding when we have had a huge dump or when it is snowing. Unfortunately, this last winter Baldy gave me another “hidden” rock bash and blew out my heel rail…beyond fixing (I used to work in a repair shop in Jackson and locally here years ago so I recognize death when I see it).

Since I'm in the market now, I think I may copyalliecat and get an Arbor…hmm, I wonder if they at least make a 171? ;)

Aug 12, 05 12:06 am  · 
 · 
Bula

vado: joansinforpowderease

Aug 12, 05 12:08 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

allie-

i have the burton missions from 2 seasons ago. i upgraded this past season to the toe caps (they had they for sale separately) i figured hey, better toe response, less heel lift. at first it seemed like they were doing their job but after a bit, i just couldn't crank em til it felt right. smart idea, but it didn't execute well for me. i think it's sorta gimmicky now. but i do love the burton bindings though they're a bit clunkier than i'd like. i think the better fit did more for my heel lift than the toe cap did. my foot doesn't fit well with the drakes. test out a few bindings before settling on one.

other thought too allie- i thought about applying for a job with intrawest. they might actually be really cool to work for. you get to be closer to the mt. with hookups but still do all the architecture stuff. (and if you do end up doing that, you can thank me with some free passes at whistler)

bula-

arbor a-frame (what replaced the s-series) goes up to a 170. looks like you got yourself a new board waiting for ya.

Aug 12, 05 2:23 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

oh... and a little something to get you guys through the dog days...

mammoth

Aug 12, 05 2:29 am  · 
 · 
Bula

Well...since were sharing:

Baldy circa 1996-97 (one of my top 5 days...anywhere)

Baldy this last season

Aug 12, 05 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
innov8rdi

does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to go about repainting a snowboard? now that i finally have a design, i thought i could paint it on the one i have... have you ever done this before?

Oct 25, 05 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

it just has to be durable. remember, the topsheet is going to bend and flex as you ride so you'll have to accomodate for such. also, you have all the abuse it'll take from your back foot when it's out and such.

i've seen spraypaint on it, but maybe your best idea is to do a laminate on top? maybe print on rice paper or something really thin and then laminate it on using a thin epoxy or something. or maybe posca pens? good luck. let me know how it turns out.

Oct 25, 05 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

My friend's mother worked at an autobody shop and he was able to use the equipment to refinish his board (about ten years ago). His last name is Clark, so he refinished his board to look like a Clark bar. Pretty cool.

Anyway, he refinished it the same way you would refinish a car. Whatever the method, I would say the key is the paint, like ACfA suggests above. Modern car paint is made of high tech plastics that can take the abuse of flex and impact.

The epoxy covered print out sounds good too! The epoxies readily available to consumers are similar in composition to auto paint (polyester? not acrylic). You could use the epoxy used to repair boats.

Oct 25, 05 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: