Archinect
anchor

How to tell a firm....

Jefferson

that you've interviewed at that you're not interested...what's the best way to not burn a bridge?

Aug 4, 05 1:07 pm
Nicoli

someone made me an offer i couldnt refuse

Aug 4, 05 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
ether

Thank you for your time but I would like to explore other options/have decided to take a job somewhere else/have decided to move to bora bora to become a cabana boy.

Aug 4, 05 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
A

Don't worry about it, just be polite and say you are taking another offer. If not taking another offer I wouldn't be ashamed of being completely honest and saying you don't feel you'd be a good match for their firm. After all, not being a motivated employee costs the firm as well as yourself.

Aug 4, 05 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

my question would be..why are you worried about burning
a bridge to a place that you're not interested in? are your
intentions to potentially go back there if all else fails? did
they make you an actual offer yet?

i would ask for time to make a decision..say something
along the lines of you have a few more interviews scheduled
and ask when they would like a final decision by...

Aug 4, 05 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
pasha

you see, its not you.. its me..
i am just different at this stage of my life... maybe later..

Aug 4, 05 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Make it about money. They will understand that & it will be considered a business decision. Also, if you do this, you never know, the rejected firm may counter w/ an offer you can't refuse. Probably not, but it leaves the door open.

Aug 4, 05 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I think this post is helping me like Sketches & a bit of collage to enhance context. With the majority of renderings seemingly going the direction of 'photo-realistic', I think more room is made for those of us who remember how to draw & use conventional forms of art to convey our goals.

Of course, I've always been a sucker for a 'real' model. Heh, heh.

Aug 4, 05 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

WTF???!!! I thought this was the 'rendering' post! More reason to get out of the computer chair.

Aug 4, 05 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
hotsies

I dont think theyll be upset at you or think youre burning a bridge.

Just tell them that you arent going to accept their offer because of (insert honest reason). But are very glad to have been introduced to their firm and look forward to continuing your relationship with them in the future.

Theyll understand.

pasha gave you some poor advice, and youll come off as acting as though your better than them. which is a bad attitude to have if youre the one interviewing to work somewhere.

Aug 4, 05 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Well J,
I still think that a firm, especially if you're interviewing w/ the owner, or someone high enough up is going to understand the 'green' reason for a turn-down. If you interview with them in the future, the same people might remember that you just got a better paying offer, but they won't think that you're pompous.. Att least, they shouldn't. If they do, then they might not be people to work for.

Put it this way, if it's the opposite situation, they will tell you whatever is convenient, or will send a letter consisting of 2 or 3 sentences. One of which will be "We have reviewed your qualifications, and at this time we cannot currently offer employment...yadda-yadda."

Now, if you told the firm that you cannot accept employment w/ them because you don't feel that their work is significant, or that you don't
see yourself designing_________ , then that will burn a bridge in a heartbeat.

Aug 4, 05 9:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: