Archinect
anchor

How to initiate job search

bluetooth

I am going to be graduating in December and I have some questions for those of you who are more established in terms of helping to give me tips as to how to begin the job search.

How much time would you say to give for the search? Is it possible to start too early? Do you initiate contact with firms even if they have not advertised openings? Do you just send resumes, or try attach a sample of past work? How about online portfolios? How valuable are they?

Thanks for your time!

Aug 3, 05 5:39 pm
melivt

initiating contact is good. sending unsolicited resumes got me several inquiries and interviews. networking works as well. talk to your profs. aim high, but be prepared to start low. worst comes to worst, work at UPS and do competitions in spare time. i researched firms for about 3 weeks, but then again, i already knew where i wanted to work, it was really a question of finding firms where i would enjoy working, even though they were not my top choices.

Aug 3, 05 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
bluetooth

thanks melivt,

Do you have any thoughts on online portfolios as a way to drive the search? Also, what do you think about starting the search 4 months in advance? You think some of the firms might not be in a position to make a hire that far down the line? Or that they maight take my resume and forget about me?

Aug 3, 05 8:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: