Archinect
anchor

have you lost your ability...

strlt_typ

to do simple mathematic operations with you head?...i have. my engineer boss always throws these quick computations at me and i get lost. i've relied too much on the calculator in the years past. and going to an arch school which focuses on theory and art didn't help.

Aug 2, 05 7:41 pm
Ms Beary

yes, agree. numbers are abstract, not what's really on my mind ever. i don't run "comps" to determine design decisions. i actually rely soley on MathCAD.

Aug 2, 05 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

Yeah, I can still do it, but I have to focus.. random divisions and multiplications are no longer second nature...if they ever were.

Aug 2, 05 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
jpalmer

are you kidding i use the calculator for simple addition/subtraction anymore. i do long division about twice a year anymore on paper. and most of that has to do with figuring out paying bills/taxes.

Aug 2, 05 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

i don't think i know the whole multiplication table....

9x7=?

Aug 2, 05 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Man! I really thought that I was alone on this! I knew that I was really in trouble when, in one of my posts, I said 8% of $1M = $64K. DOHHHH!

I also think it gets worse as yuou get older. However, fractions seem to ge easier for some reason. I still think we should go metric, though.

Thanks Dammson, now maybe we can start an encounter group.

Aug 2, 05 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

cool...i'm not alone...it's embarassing...the worst is when my boss would trick me with simple 7/8 - 1/4 + 3/32 and i'd get busted. he'll purposefully throw off the calculation but i'll nod my head as if i'm following him.

the key is acceptance.

Aug 3, 05 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
MickMack

there is a guy in my office who teaches me all of the CD stuff. he is the self proclaimed "nuts and bolts" guy and that is really what he is. A great person to learn about how to put things together and products and such...i am lucky.

but i get caught all the time as he is adding up the actual dimensions of a wall (OUTLOUD!) and he will get his answer...

"7-7/8? Is that what you got?"
"umm...yeah...wait, um...let me check one more time."
(insert InchMate2000 calculator)
"yeah...7-7/8, correct!"

he just laughs and keeps going.
at least he has a good sense of humor!

Aug 3, 05 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
MickMack

oh wait...forgot to mention that he was the one who put in the order for my InchMate 2000!

ha.

Aug 3, 05 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
ivebNevrwhurMAN

In addition to basic math, I've lost my ability to type.

Aug 5, 05 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
sluggo

Maybe you'reall just eating too much tuna.

Aug 5, 05 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i took construction cost engineering in grad school and got a B+

Aug 5, 05 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I thought tuna was go for yer head. personally, I blame calculus.

Aug 5, 05 10:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: