Archinect
anchor

architecture in toronto

fu_d

I am planning to visit toronto in two weeks.
I wonder if there are cool buildings to see, or if it's possible I might want to visit some architecture offices too.
If anyone has good idea about scene in toronto please let me know.
Thanks

Aug 2, 05 12:37 pm
under

d.w.-

There are several good buildings in Toronto.
Morphosis' UT housing project is there, as is Calatrava's
BCE Place. BCE and a Mies building or two are downtown.
As for offices, Teeple Architects are okay, and Brigitte Shim is in Toronto, I believe. Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg has done some decent work.

On the "tourist" front, the CN Tower and Casa Loma are
fairly cool. For nightlife, I love the area arounf Danforth and Pape...
Greektown.

cal

Aug 2, 05 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
Colm

Watch out for the falling steel at the ROM... No wait, Libeskind's building just looks that way.

Aug 2, 05 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

alsop's crazy ontario center of art and design

gehry's museum addition/renov. (not sure that one's complete, though.)

Aug 2, 05 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

yeah, the toronot dominion center is around the corner from the BCE, which houses the hockey hall of fame, right?

wicked.
is bridgette shim still in shim-sutcliffe cos i'd move to canada for that. some of there work reminds me of my favorite bostonians or is it this frog

Aug 2, 05 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

of course if i could spell i might stand a better chance.

*their* work

Aug 2, 05 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
.dwg

There are quite a few:

norman foster - U of T Leslie Dan Pharmacy Building, on College street
Alsop - OCAD, on Mccaul
Behnisch & Behnisch - U of T, CCBR, on College
Libeskind - ROM addition, on Bloor
Gehry - AGO addition, on Dundas - construction hasn't begun yet
Philip Johnson - CBC building, on Front st
Mies - as people mentioned above, on King st
Calatrava - BCE Place, on King st
IM Pei - First Canadian Place
New City Hall - Viljo Revell
Flatiron Building - Lennox

but, i say, just check out all the good food and festivals that are out during the summer in toronto. try a patio on king st west. or shop on queen st west. yep and i agree, the danforth is pretty hot too..

Aug 2, 05 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
domestic

If you're into concrete brutalism check out Robarts Library at the University of Toronto. Its the 10 story concrete monolith at the centre of the campus. Actually just go to the U of T campus and walk around, a bunch of interesting buildings there more or less act as a timeline for Toronto's architectural history.

Aug 2, 05 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
fu_d

Thanks guys. I am really looking forward to seeing things in toronto.

Aug 3, 05 12:45 am  · 
 · 
Zoë Coombes

Plus, get a feel for the scale of Toronto. It is what a lot of Torontonians think is really unique about the place. Its a strange feeling of packed together, fairly low buildings.

For a long time the subway was able to pay for 90 percent of it's costs from the fare box (before they began building a new line north of the city-most city transit systems are heavily subsidized.) Toronto's TTC is well used in part because it runs mostly through fairly dense areas. Also, the streetcar system, which was dismantled in most North American cities, is cheap and susidizes the cost of the rest of the system. (Don't quote me on these facts but I've heard them from a fairly reliable source.)
Ride the streetcar drunk and pretend you are a real torontonian in highschool, because that is what we used to do...

Aug 3, 05 3:22 am  · 
 · 
.dwg

well.. i wouldn't single out the streetcar fares to be cheap... it's the same fare as the subways and buses.. the thing about toronto transit is that it's a flat rate no matter how many 'straight' changes you do. so you can hop on a bus, to get to a subway, to then get to a streetcar, and then transfer to a bus (you get the idea..) all for the same flat rate of C$2.50.

hehhehe.. the TTC actually does encourage you to ride the trains if you're drunk and getting home one night ;)

Aug 3, 05 8:17 am  · 
 · 
johndevlin

the special collections room at the Robarts Library is interesting: gave me vertigo

Aug 3, 05 8:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: