Archinect
anchor

Alienware?

LBG

Has anyone heard of this computer company? Good? Bad? Im looking for a new system, and Dell is currently on my shitlist for giving me the runaround with their customer service.

Jul 30, 05 1:31 am
johndevlin

is Apple on your shitlist?

Jul 30, 05 1:39 am  · 
 · 
LBG

I already have a G4 titanium laptop, that I love and is not on my shitlist, and i wanted to be able to use AutoCAD and 3ds Max without the laggyness of Virtual PC.

Jul 30, 05 1:45 am  · 
 · 
Taesung

Alienware makes some pretty high-end performance computers for the money that you spend. My only complaint is that their colors stand out way too much, and their laptops overheat really quickly. Other than that, I"m quite happy.

Jul 30, 05 3:08 am  · 
 · 
atowle

Very good spec but often ugly looking. I'd go as far as to say you'd struggle to get a better pc for the money.

Jul 30, 05 5:22 am  · 
 · 
Gordon

you should look into boxx systems @ www.boxxtech.com..
These are the BEST PC's on the market.....

Jul 30, 05 9:55 am  · 
 · 
citizen4nr

alienware is an excellent company. they use high end products in all their equipment. my only issue would have to be their case designs, which i dont really like that much. but i guess thats a personal preference. you could also try voodoo pc, or falcon northwest. they're both high end boutique companies.

Jul 30, 05 10:28 am  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

Sager is another company to look at. I believe Alienware uses a base system with the name of Clevo. Sager uses the same base system and is much cheaper than Alienware. It is still more expensive than what you get in stores, but each laptop is custom built.

Jul 30, 05 11:57 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

I spoke with someone with an Alienware laptop. He was absolutely in love with it, but had a few gripes. One, there is definitely the overheating issue. He found that he had to remove some panels from the case and clean them out about once or twice a month as they collect much dust.

Also, he says they are not for people who might be needing to send it in to get fixed . . . i.e. it is more for "do it yourselfers. While there is tech support, he told me they format the drive every time you send it in. He had to send it in once for something related to the optical drive. They are also picky about their tech support. They would not help him out over the phone because he had installed his own legit copy of WinXP Pro.

Also had a student with a Sager machine. This thing was BEEEEFY! I think well over 1" thick and heavy as hell. Not something you want to carry with you everyday. Fans all over the place . . . like 4 1" fans out the back. It was an impressive machine. He had similar issues to the Ailienware chap. But, he could run 3DStudio and Maya really well. Whatever FireGL or Quadro cards they had in there made for a great modeling experience.

Good luck!

Jul 30, 05 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

wisof - many companies require you to remove the drive before sending, as it can be damaged and they don't want responsibility.

As for the reformating, that's unfortunately common practice in the lesser skilled gang of tech support. Dell's home division tells you to do that all the time, too, and is one reason I buy only from the Business side.

For tech support, I'd go with Dell's Business (I have their Gold support, although I don't know how I got it, but they are above the reg biz support and I never wait more than 5 minutes - they really know their shit, too).
Also, Dell sends tech guys to you, unlike IBM and others (although someon on here said that they did, the tech guy I met that supported Dell's and IBMs didn't like the IBMs).

Boxxtech is a superb company with an impeccable rep, unforutunately, they are expensive.

Look at a recen comparison between a Boxx and Alienware. Alien won, not sure why, but they were very, very close and very similar.

Personally, tech support = great value. I HATE opening the computer, so anytime they'll send a guy within 24 hrs (and you can get same day) to replace anything is a good deal in my mind.

Jul 30, 05 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
paperboy

check out VooDoo computers

Jul 31, 05 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

dont even bother with alienware, they suck

Jul 31, 05 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Jrocc

checkout xi and polywell for better bang to your buck. They dont look as nice as the alienwares or boxxes but they perform.

Aug 1, 05 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: