Archinect
anchor

Could you recommand architectural dictionary?

lovely rain

Could you recommand architectural dictionary?
I would like to buy one....;-)
Have a nice weekend~!

Jul 29, 05 12:51 pm
Aluminate

Try "A Visual Dictionary of Architecture" by Ching

Jul 29, 05 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

a nice cheap, well-designed, and clever one is 'design language' by tim mccreight. fits in your back pocket, not that i know any reason you'd need to carry it with you.

here

Jul 30, 05 9:50 am  · 
 · 
architecturegeek
Metapolis Dictionary of Advanced Architecture
Jul 30, 05 11:07 am  · 
 · 
johndevlin

(I don't mean to come down on you like a ton of bricks, but DO buy an English language dictionary too to know how to spell "recommend". I know I am exposing myself here, because I, too, have serious problems with spelling/typos but I am quite anal about perfect spelling. Just a friendly suggestion: if you have doubts about the spelling of a certain word either don't use it, or look it up.)

Jul 30, 05 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
drs

Penguin Dictionary is fine. Metapolis is definitely worth a mention, though perhaps not quite what you're after. Oh yeah, and the OED could help out no end.

Jul 30, 05 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

true - metapolis is an architects dictionary for architects. probably not something the layman would find particularly helpful. But I think it's cool and I'm all about pimping cool shit.

Jul 30, 05 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
lovely rain

Thank you for your comment and advice.

Aug 1, 05 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

does anyone know of one online for free like dictionary.com? i need one right now.

Jan 29, 09 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

maybe not what you're looking for, but tom porters 'archispeak' is quite useful.

Jan 29, 09 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

holz's brain!

wait, it's actually become a huge hinderance.

Jan 29, 09 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

s,m,l,xl

Jan 30, 09 8:42 am  · 
 · 

I really hated that Metapolis dictionary...felt like a complete waste of money.

Jan 30, 09 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
cfso1952
http://www.ontarioarchitecture.com/Terms.html
Jan 31, 09 10:55 am  · 
 · 
Emilio

For the old stuff, like if you want to know what the public hall of a Greek town was called (ekklesiasterion), get Cyril M. Harris' Illustrated Dictionary of Historic Architecture. Beautifully illustrated and not expensive.

Jan 31, 09 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: