Archinect
anchor

Fabric Question: GREY Terry Cloth

MysteryMan

If you're an interiors/FF&E whiz, I'm talkin' to you:
Do any of ya'll (you all/y'all) have experience specifying fabrric for furniture in say a spa, or pool cabana, or massage parlor, or den of iniquity?

I've got a bit of a conundrum, it seems that nobody in the USA carries GREY terry cloth. It seems ridiculous to me (& more to the client). Any thoughts on where to look to get this material in 2wks or less?

Since I'm a bit out of my area of expertise, this might seem like a dumb post, but Thanks in advance.

Jul 27, 05 11:07 am
Aluminate

Terry is an unusual choice for something like pool cabana furniture. Most terry fabrics are at least partly cotton, which doesn't hold up well for uses in damp areas (and starts to smell and rot) if not washed on a regular basis. Unless you're specifying removable slipcovers, pillows, etc. and your client understands this is going to be a daily laundry issue I'd steer more toward something either synthetic, or natural but quicker drying (like canvas, used in a single-layer, breathable situation such as in deck chairs.)
Because it's not used much in furniture or room treatments it can be hard to find a heavier weight terry.
If you're looking for something of the type that would typically be found in clothing (the weight of a terry robe, for example) check www.fashionfabricsclub.com
If you're looking for something heavier try http://store.schindlersfabrics.com/clpofeteclco1.html -you might want to call these guys because all I see on their site right now is red or green, but they often have things that aren't shown.

Finally: the US spelling of "grey" is usually "gray" - so perhaps try your search with both spellings.

Jul 27, 05 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Thanks Aluminate,
I've looked at both websites that you referenced. There was no grey (gay), but I need to call 'em. A for the choice of fabrics...well, I've just got a real particular client. He saw something in a club in Miami & liked Terry Cloth so much that he is stuck on that choice. However, he didn't see grey (gray), just white.

You see this kind of matl used a lot in higher end resorts & clubs. It's actually very comfortble & looks good - when it's clean. However, cleaning & weathering won't be as much of an issue. He's got me making plenty of replacements & understands hat there will be some change-out. Weather iis only going to be an issue from the temp/humidity equation, as the area in question is covered.

Anyway, I ramble. Thanks again.

Jul 27, 05 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Mystery, I'm guessing the "den of iniquity" reference above is the real nature of this job...it sounds like you've found yourself some very interesting clients! I'm envious.

Jul 27, 05 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

like this?

here's a terry cloth supplier, says they can do all sizes and colors..

it may not be what you need but they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Jul 27, 05 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I'm to the point of going to BedBath& Beyond, cutting up what they've got & stitching it together...now if I onl knew how to sew.

Yes LibertyBell, I help supply local hedonists with sauve places to put their svelte booties. It's a livin!

Jul 27, 05 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

There are at least 3 different varieties of grey terry on the fashionfabricsclub website.

Jul 27, 05 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I'm American, I can't use that French stuff!!
I actually checked that site quite some time ago & learned this:
The French TerryCloth is a bit like American Cheese. French Terry
is a bit like T-Shirt-to-Sweatshirt cloth.

Hey, at least we're all thinking (& Googlin') alike. Thanks Bloop.

Jul 27, 05 8:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: