Archinect
anchor

Calatrava tower for chicago... let the debate begin

evilplatypus

I heard Office condos. Small biz can buy small offices and pay an assessment for garbage, power, cleaning, toilets, evelators, etc. Prob. good idea concidering the lack of affordable office space around the downtown for, ummmmm, little architects.

Dec 20, 06 9:31 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Heres an image from Crains Chicago business showing largest Commercial to Residential conversions in the downtown - It speculates IBM building ( now known as 330 N. Wabash) going residential.

I dont see it happening. Unlike the Wards Tower, which is in a booming residential and nightlife area, the old IBM looks as office-like and stogey as black tied Big Blue that used to occupy it.

Note that the succcessful, completed conversions are multiple blocks north of the river.

Dec 20, 06 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I should clarify the Metropolitan has been selling for seemingly years already - time is the 4th dimension to real estate

Dec 20, 06 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I wonder how price plays a factor--the metropolitan has got to be asking a TON for that location. views across the park toward the lake?? yikes.

could be that they're just slowly going after the super-rich market.

Dec 20, 06 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

South of the river has just never been that big for residential. Its sort of a new trend. You'd think accross from the park, the fountain etc. would comand top dollar but really not the case ( today) in ten years, it could be like a midwest version of park ave.

Dec 21, 06 11:41 am  · 
 · 
postal

everything shuts down south of the river...what is up with that? why can't restaurants and bars stay open later in the loop? i never understood it... i always thought there was some kind of restriction...

Dec 21, 06 11:44 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Density--the loop area is mostly corporate 9-5. Oddly the older days when the loop still had manufacturing, garment and printing districts, it was a much livelier place - still evident in the west loop area near greektown. But that area is pretty much gone in every major city since they've become "sterilized".

Hopefully the new residential as well student dorms will revitalize the loop nightlife and restauraunts.

Dec 21, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 
postal

there still has to be enough units downtown to promote some nigthlife, late-night restaurants...not necessarily west loop... but look at all the residential by the lake...just north of the park...tons of residential, a ton of hotels...there's nothing around except hard-drive or other stuff...you need to hop across that cold windy river to get to anything... and there's restaurants and fast food their, but they all close early, what gives? tell me ghost of jane jacobs!

Dec 21, 06 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Well the west loop is jumping - till 5am every day of the week. Certainly 24hr. area. Where else can you get whole baby goats or a virgin mary candle at 5am?

East side by the hotels has some little spots - mostly bars inside of hotels. Plus that area is sort of like some post apocolyptic blade runner area of ramps and blank concrete walls so no one really wants to be there anyway - maybe when river east is fully developed it will change - but then it will be rich people barricaded behind gated comunities and doormen who order in.

The south loop has the real promise as all the residential - something like 100,000 units in 6 years, are filling. Your starting to see all the little pizza, dry cleaners, pubs starting to sprout. Its really amazing compared to 10 years ago. And it has so much room left to grow!

Dec 21, 06 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

My first ever visit to Chicago had me staying in a dive of a south loop hotel in the early 90's. I think it got demolished for a new condo. Now where am I to get a hotel that close to the loop for $40/night?

Dec 21, 06 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
postal

Plus that area is sort of like some post apocolyptic blade runner area of ramps and blank concrete walls so no one really wants to be there anyway

spot on...haha!

you'ld think one of the building would try to make it walkable or something... i guess i could never fathom having to actually travel to get chinese, irish pub, pizza, mexican, or grease joint food... typically, ever point in chicago has all of these within a 1-2 block radius

Dec 21, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: