Archinect
anchor

Did you contact faculty while applying to Grad School?

guiggster

Perhaps you contacted faculty members while applying to Grad schools, and perhaps there were actually questions that you wanted answered, but I'm more wondering if you did so with an ulterior motive...to effectively lobby your way into the school and get your name into the circle previous to your application.

How many of you did this? Do you think it was effective? How did you go about it?

Jul 24, 05 8:51 pm
THREADS

I would not bother. I e-mailed a professor from every school I applied to and none of them returned a response until after I was accepted.

Jul 24, 05 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

I spoke with professors while applying, but it ended up being less effective than I thought it would. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to visit my school before hand, so I spoke with people via email most of the time and really only one faculty member on the phone.

In several instances, including students entering the program after me, the faculty really stretched the...truth...on how things within the program functioned in realtion to a student's interests. Of course, that's their job essentially.

I fully recommend talking with faculty, but make sure that it's balanced by talking with actual students as well. And always try to visit the program as well. I visited several programs except the one I finally selected and things may have been different if I had.

Jul 24, 05 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

What kind of questions did you make it a point to ask?

Jul 25, 05 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

I visited but didn't really make a point to meet faculty... the one unnamed school in CA where I did reach out, I didn't get in (says something about my sparkling personality, maybe?)

In the case of the schools where I did get admission, I did make a point to meet with faculty before I decided.

Jul 25, 05 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i think its a good idea if you want info, but it won't improve your chances of getting in. your ap will be reviewed by a random group of students and profs among hundreds and hundreds of others. by the time they review your work, they'll have forgotten who you were.

Jul 25, 05 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: