Archinect
anchor

should i put a failed/failing hd in external enclosure as slave?

tomcuise3230

Dear members:

I just would like to know should i put a failed/failing hard drive (2.5 30gb ibm internal hd) in external enclosure as slave so i can get the data off (its been a month since it has failed) by using a laptop

Jul 24, 05 2:32 am
siggers

tomcuise,

As you should remember, slavery has now been outlawed.

Thankyou.

p.s. if you're not sure find a geek that does or go to one of those places that will get all the data of it that they can...

Jul 24, 05 6:19 am  · 
 · 
citizen4nr

there's no reason why you cant. just be sure to set the jumper to slave.

Jul 24, 05 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

you can do it. but if the hard drive is on the verge of complete failure, it'll go pretty soon.

if it's only a few bad sectors, you can use software to isolate those sectors and partition the drive so that it doesn't use them. however, if you don't do this, if the computer tries to read/write from said damaged sectors it'll probably error.

if you just want to pull the data. do it slowly and in smaller chunks. don't just copy the HD straight over. it'll be time consuming and annoying but you'll find the files that are corrupt and those will probably be unrecoverable for you (you can probably pay and get it done...) but you can usually work around those files. good luck.

Jul 24, 05 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: