Archinect
anchor

arbor/fireplace

zeth01

I was asked to do drawings for an arbor and an outdoor fireplace. Anyone know where I can look at examples online of fireplace drawings and also get working details etc... Also need general requirements for the arbor which will be close to 14' x 10'. Thank You.

Jul 22, 05 10:11 am

fireplaces are tricky and trouble if you get 'em wrong. you can learn a lot from local trade organization's publications. (here it's the kentuckiana masonry institute.) there are some general guidelines in graphic standards and similar references. but your best bet may be to find out who the mason/contractor would be and get them to help with the flue design. step away from the computer; about 10% of what you might find online is accurate (maybe) and you'll never know which 10% that is.

after you solve the fireplace, arbor design is pretty straightforward. have fun with it.

Jul 22, 05 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

you might also look at the do-it-yourself books they carry at places like home depot - sunset actually has some decent ones on fences, decks, etc., at least for framing details... and they may have some for outdoor fireplaces as well. but i second talking directly to the builder - if you've never done it before you may just waste your time and frustrate the builder by thoroughly detailing something that can't be built. it's better to have drawings of what you want it to look like, materials, size, etc., and let them tell you what they need to do to get it built - be ready to make some modifications and compromises as well. good luck.

Jul 22, 05 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
zeth01

cool thanks. I am an architecture student but I do masonry during the summers and the guy I work for asked me to draw him up an outdoor fireplace and an arbor that the client wants built. Drawings due wednesday. Yikes...

Jul 22, 05 10:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: