Archinect
anchor

Jobs to include/exclude from resume

alliecat

I am putting together my resume and am wondering if employers really care that I waitressed at Jillian's Billiards and Wolfgang Puck's during college and beyond...
to those of you who interview prospective employees and read resumes regularly, am I better off listing only "real jobs" on my resume, or is it better to include waitressing jobs, etc... to show that I haven't had a gap in my work history, and that I was employed during while I was taking classes?

Jul 21, 05 9:21 pm
alliecat

oh, and do I include my GPA? and if so how long do you continue including it after you graduate?

Jul 21, 05 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

I think showing that you worked during school can be helpful, kinda depends on the employer but I know I'd be more inclined to be impressed if you have a good portfolio from school and you show you were working.
I've never been asked my GPA and I'm inclined to think that most on this board have never been asked their GPA in interview. I could be wrong though.............

Jul 21, 05 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
Lord Auch

I include such things as waiting tables, bartending and so on by saying "____years food service," with a brief description. It may be of interest if prospective employers do any work on restaraunts. Just be + and put your self in a good light.

Jul 21, 05 11:28 pm  · 
 · 

put it in there, but save space by only listing the company and the dates, don't bother with job descriptions.

no GPA, unless it's 3.9+

Jul 21, 05 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

I suggest only including "relevant" job experience, but that could vary on the job to which you're applying. If a company does a lot of hospitality work/restaurant design, that experience might be helpful. I think for most places, I would leave that out. I wouldn't put my GPA on the resume... no one cares.

If you had a gap in your work history while you were in school, you were in school. I don't know why that wouldn't be enough. You're not going to get hired over someone else because you were a waitress while you took classes. Employers are probably getting lots of resumes, and any superfluous info is only going to hurt your chances not help them.

Jul 22, 05 12:12 am  · 
 · 
alliecat

i guess i should have mentioned that i have a bs in biotechnology, worked for a biotech company for a couple of years, decided to change careers, and waitressed the summer before school started, but then i found my current job with an LA firm where i have been for 2 years. i don't really want to include only 'relevant' experience because i feel the biotech job was significant to my work history, even if it is unrelated.

Jul 22, 05 12:30 am  · 
 · 
b4g

On your resume I would include a brief description of your job at the biotech company especially if you had any management or significant responsibilities. If you feel that you need to put on your resume your food service experience, only place the time employment and the name of the restaurant. Also ditto on not indicating you GPA. I do not think employers really care about that but if you every made the dean's list, I would defiantly put that down.

Jul 22, 05 1:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: