Archinect
anchor

Grad School Grades

mikechi

basic question: how much do grad school grades matter to hiring firms?

obviously it's complicated...

here's my background: undergrad BA in art / history. starting MArch in the fall.

My primary goals in school are twofold: 1. take the most challanging professors. 2. use my time in school to learn by
experimenting with new ideas. (sorry if these seem obvious).

With this approach I am definitely not aiming for perfection on the traditional grading scale.
Will this hurt my chances of really getting the best possible job after school?
Are those of you with low grades having trouble finding jobs?

any insight appreciated.

Jul 21, 05 2:00 pm
momentum

never been asked my gpa out of school.

Jul 21, 05 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

just tried to remember what it was, and i can't...

Jul 21, 05 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

Grades only matter to schools.

Jul 21, 05 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

in my program less than a 3.0 is failing, and a C is the lowest passing grade for any class--similar in other programs?

Jul 21, 05 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

yeah, grad school grades are basically to give you an evaluation of your performance for your information. no employer cares what your grades were, and if they do, you probably don't want to work there.

Jul 21, 05 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

typo, five? for us a c is the lowest passing grade, but a 3.0 is a b, is it not?

Jul 21, 05 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

just like no one cares what your GRE score was after you get into grad school. :)

· 
momentum

i wish 3.0 was failing, then i wouldn't have had to listen to some people and their mindless babble.

C was lowest passing grade in our program.

· 
mikechi

thanks guys... this is reassuring.

Jul 21, 05 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

My M.Arch program was all Pass/Fail. And in any case I've never once been asked in any job interview about my grades form college or grad school.

Jul 21, 05 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

SW-
you can receive credit for a class with a C, but your GPA has to stay above a 3.0 (i.e., you next class better be an A)

Jul 21, 05 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

SW-
you can receive credit for a class with a C, but your GPA has to stay above a 3.0 (i.e., you next class better be an A)

Jul 21, 05 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

i was always told (by profs) grades were only important for getting into grad school. nothing else. and they even said not to put grades on resume, it's not really relevant. the interviewer/hirer will be able to tell from first impression and quality of resume if you are a good prospect or not.

Jul 21, 05 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

as a senior in my BArch, for my diploma project at the three weeks in checkpoint, I recieved an 'F' and was supposed to fail right then and there and not be allowed to continue in the project. Was told the project was "impossible." They let me stay in, and I ended up with an 'A' by the semester's end. What does that tell you? What are grades anyways?
I tried to tell my interviewers my grades, but they stopped me mid sentence. Don't bring it up and they probably won't either.

Jul 21, 05 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i've never heard of anyone asking for grades, but if you graduate with distinction or summa cum laude or whatever, you can put it on your CV. besides, the minimum requirements usually require minimal effort to achieve.

Jul 21, 05 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: