Archinect
anchor

For all you fancy 4-year degree holders

Ms Beary

my firm would not hire someone without a professional degree. simple as that.

Jul 22, 05 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

"I hope those schools are very clear to their new students about what it takes to get licensed these days."

Maybe they should concentrate on WHY its so hard to get licensed these days - just look at your fat, balding baby-boomer boss over there, does he want competition to interupt his retirement? The bow-tie parade continues....

Jul 22, 05 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

SNAP! so true so true evilplatypus... but my balding baby boomer boss is not fat... he is however obssesive compulsive and inept, he spends half the day watering the plants in the office

Jul 22, 05 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
RankStranger

Okay, people settle down.
First off, the title of the thread was for all you "4-year degree holders". Everyone else, get the hell out.
Seriously, the thread was not made to bicker over whose degree is better than whose which makes me smarter, etc. etc. It was for the 4-year degree people who are frustrated with the whole NCARB/NAAB thing like I am and who are hearing from all directions, "You have to go back to school to get licensed."
You don't, that's the bottom line and for you high schoolers, it would behuve (sp?) you to church up on this stuff.
For all you others who like telling people what they should or need to do, shut your piehole. You're wrong. That's all.

Jul 22, 05 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

You hit the nail on tha haid, EVILPLAty..
Licensure has at least one unwritten prupose (in my opinion):
Keep the population down. Since I've graduated w/ a B.S. 4yr (them bastards don't even put 'Arch' after it), 15yrs ago, the licensure process has been one unresolved mess. NCARB has the only standard, but is more of a barrier than a help. Especially to procrastinating, paperwork haters like me! (I know, I know..). But really, do we need to collect a thick book of paper which could be forged? Why didn't NCARB go electronic, or let me use my MS-Excel timesheets (converted to VUs) back in 1992, or so.? My forward thinking put me behind in that regard.

State licensing guidelines, although sorta predictable, are all over the place.

If I had it to do over again, I'd still go Architecture, but I'd do the 5yr B.Arch.

Jul 22, 05 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Strawbeary -
Would your firm hire somone who spends half of most days chatting away on archinect? I bet not.

Jul 22, 05 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

multitasking, poczatek. multitasking. it's a good skill to nurture.

Jul 22, 05 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

4 year arch. undergrad + 3 year MArch....7 years of formal architectural education.....SWEET! I think I just might wind up being the greatest architect ever! whohoo!

Jul 22, 05 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
knock

"Some argue a grad will earn more in their lifetime, but a two year headstart building wealth in contrast to spending as much in the same amount of time while in grad school is a pretty big gap to close"

If wealth is what you're after, then knowledge is only a tool to build your empire.

I have a feeling that you're a big supporter of Worthington's Law

Jul 22, 05 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

poczatec, you ass.
what are you worried about that for? i post a lot at home. actually, i'm not even wearing pants right now.

Jul 22, 05 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
Pimpanzee

I'm just giving you a hard time!
That wasn't nice, I know - Later!

Jul 22, 05 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Pimpanzee

Besides Janosh, Everyone works hard for their license - Peace Out Bro.

Jul 22, 05 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

The lesson for 18 year olds...
Get off your ass! It's time to grow up. The college may not educate you about ALL of your options. That is up to you. No more hand holding. No more spoon feeding. It's time to take the training wheels off.

That being said, go with what works for you.

Jul 22, 05 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Blue moons for everybody - its time to go home.

Jul 22, 05 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
anarchitect2b

Thanks Jolly Rancher for your explanation - it was very helpful to me.
I hold a 4-yr degree in architecture, and I want to get licensed but to me it is very hard to "settle down" for almost 3 years to get my masters. I know the masters program should only last 2 years, but I have to consider the time to apply, and to me it is very hard to predict what city I will be living in due to my husband's profession: airplane pilot. Therefore, it would be just great if I didn't have to go through school for another 2 years, not because I am lazy or anything (I graduated with a 3.8 GPA), but merely due to my husband's profession.
If I had to go back in time, I will definitely do the 5-year program but as an Int'l student, I wasn't aware of the difference btw these 2 programs - everything was new to me.
I'm an intern architect in TX now, but we might move to FL. Does anybody know the possibilities/requirements of being certified by NCARB in these 2 states without holding a professional degree?

What about an ONLINE professional masters degree in architecture??? :-)

Thank you so much guys!

Mar 20, 09 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
RankStranger

You cannot get NCARB certified anywhere with a 4 year degree. There is a difference between an NCARB certificate and an architect's license. An NCARB certificate in itself is pretty much useless (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but it will make getting a license in any state a lot easier for you. NCARB keeps track of all your documentation and applying for a license in 2 different states is as easy as clicking a button 2 times. Without NCARB you have to visit each state's website, fill out 2 totally different sets of paperwork, write checks and mail the applications. Really not a big deal. Although I think some states require it for reciprocity. For TX or FL requirements, just Google their architecture boards and find out their requirements. NCARB has their requirements too but they can be inaccurate. And sorry, but an ONLINE MArch program could be one of the worst ideas I've heard in a while. It's not exactly a telecommuting type of profession now is it?

Mar 20, 09 6:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: