Archinect
anchor

3ds max question. Importing dwg files

Pete

When I import a dwg file into 3ds max I get a dialogue 'import option' box. If I check the 'combine objects by layer' I lose some flexibility over individual closed objects. All lines and closed plines on that layer becomes one object. For example, if I put all my walls into a layer and then export to 3ds, all my walls become one object. So if I want to extrude a wall to a certain height all walls get that same height. I can't give each wall a different height, unless I uncheck the 'combine objects by layer' box or if I put each wall into a seperate layer in AutoCAD before exporting. I would be making new layers for each object what makes file linking for later modification in autocad useless.

How do you guys cope with this?

Jul 20, 05 6:18 pm
mauOne™

i dont get the useless part....

but it is a good idea to put similar objects in different layers like 2 meter walls in one layer and 3 meter walls in another since this is really easy in acad, i suggest you visit the max forums, they'll help u out really quickly there

Jul 20, 05 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I just I assign materials to finished models and render it - thats it in max. Wish I knew more to help. Oh - make curved objects in max, dont import them from acad. Reads them like a billion litle segments and slows it all down.

Jul 20, 05 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
jaja

The whole point of linking autocad files to 3ds max is that you can edit the original 2d plan using the original layers. But you are forced to make new layers to give each object its own identity.

Jul 21, 05 4:52 am  · 
 · 
spiderdad

pete, if you really wanna seperate the wall objects in max-- do this...

click the object- select modify tab...

Edit Mesh

click on the red Box (not the red plane, lines, dots, etc)

then click the objects you want to seperare...

once they're all selected, click Detach...

it'll ask you what you want to call it.

but if you can, go with the above suggestions... its a tonne more easy to manage objects by layer in acad then by seperate entities in max.

Jul 21, 05 8:11 am  · 
 · 
momentum

i just brought in an autocad file last night, unchecked the combine objects by layer box, and was fine. everything came in on the layer it was supposed to be on, and as a separate object. that was in max at home.

i just did the same thing in viz, worked just the same.

Jul 21, 05 9:24 am  · 
 · 
pomotrash

uncheck the box that says "group as common objects".

Jul 21, 05 3:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: