Archinect
anchor

Any of 'You All' Build what you Design?

MysteryMan

I'm just curious to see who 'out there' seceutes what they put on paper. I'm not tnecessarily talking about your typical Design-Build/Contractor company. I wanna know if any of 'you all'
get a client to design, say a cafe & end up doing the actual construction. maybe I wanna ask: Are you Crafts-people in addition
to being Archi-people?

Jul 20, 05 12:35 pm
MysteryMan

Dammit, those tiny letters: The word shown as "seceutes" should read 'executes'.

Jul 20, 05 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

I have a loft and have been building it out. which is enough satisfaction for me.

Jul 20, 05 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm working on an exhibit design for a show that opens in 53 hours (if I don't murder the gallery director first). I'm in the gallery in my painting clothes, hanging pictures, tightening cables, etc. - so it's not a permanent construction, but yes I am helping build it.

Jul 20, 05 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

L.Bell,
You might have an inspiration for another topic (which has probably been done) - "Great Temporary Architecture/Constructions." Wait until after the exhibit to 'do' the gallery director, tho.

Jul 20, 05 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

LB, I should at least "aim" at popping in for a minute tomorrow, if not in 53 hours. I'll wear my painting clothes too. That room is air-conditioned, isn't it?

You know, I think I will be there in 53 hours. Absense makes the heart grow fonder, don't you think.

Jul 20, 05 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

i build my furniture in my spare time. since i don't have a lot of spare time, i don't have a lot of furniture.

can't wait to build my house, should only take me 38.5 years in my spare time.

Jul 20, 05 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I might add this: Please Show Some Photos, if you've got 'em.

Jul 20, 05 1:08 pm  · 
 · 

good luck with the exhibit, lb.

i was tempted to ask what gallery (in indy, close to l-ville), but i'd guess from lauf's comment that you're working on a gallery in phila. won't make that one, i suppose.

Jul 20, 05 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

ya - Im right now ripping a design were bidding apart because it just doesnt work and we have to teach another architect their job. Before that I did a cost recap of 2 construction projects to see where we did good and were did'nt. Before that I did a rendering for a design sale, for architectural services, they have the option to go somewhere else for construction but they wont. Next week Im going to actually dig piers around the primeter of a 100 year old house in chicago under-"pin the bitch". It will be 100 degrees and I wont be in a cube.

Jul 20, 05 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

Currently in the process of building bent wood laminate chairs and will be starting in the next couple of weeks buiding some custom longboards (skate, not surf). The whole process has been an amazing learning experience.

Jul 20, 05 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi
Back many years ago, I was doing the interiour T.V. room at Drakabygget in sweden , --- well they was artists we was craftsmen and they needed a rebuild of the old Situasionist castle, anyway. These triangled rooms in the celing at the angled walls , -- don't know the english words for them -- was stuffed with all sorts of things ; old papers writing books, pieces of canvas and all sorts of things artists collect and store all their life , well the spaces was not emty and this made it difficult to do the rebuild and after a week of complaining, we the craftsmen simply cut a saw thru where the new walls xshuld be, and started to throw the rest out the windows.
That's when Jorgen Nash came rushing, "MY unwritten novels, my unfinished paintings , my hidden cut of heads what are you doing ???"
------- he spended 3 day's digging thru what we thrown out the windows, but if it had stayed under the roof 3 years more, the mice would have eaten it anyway.
----------- Well this short story to tell, that sometimed you need someone to acturly replace the leads, do the new walls and throw out the new, even cut in halve the unwritten novels and unpainted paintings. Someone with a hands on aproach, that is not impressed, who don't count one artist higher than any other.

Jul 20, 05 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
raji

huh?

Jul 20, 05 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
jpalmer

as much as i can

www.a-studiodesign.com

Jul 20, 05 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

i feel dumber now.

Jul 20, 05 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

I'm executing some industrial design for my parents business... signage, that sort of thing. Gives me a chance to play with fun plastics and resins.

Jul 20, 05 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

pixel - post some images when you get the boards done!

Jul 20, 05 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

I worked for a few design/build firms where we worked on both sides of the project. We had a few classes in school that were along the same lines, design then build it, then evaluate then build it again. I think it's a great thing for architects to do as it increases your confidence in design ten-fold and you gain quite a bit of intimate knowledge of construction just doing it. Plus it helps bridge the gap later when your talking with builder/contractors.

Jul 20, 05 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Per,
I definitely can say "I ain't done dat".

Jul 20, 05 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

BTW,
I'm building some 'Rolling Mini-Beds" for a svelte-kinda nightclub & some cube Ottomans for an adult entertainment club. Maybe I oughta pitch the min-beds to them as well. It's actually a sweet deal, because I get to replace the covers on the cushions every few months. I think these clients are definitely gonna need that. Just another day-in-the-life of your local Archt/Builderr for the morally challenged set. Well, I am doing a coffee shop that seems to safe for all ages.

Hey Pixel-Ho, I think that laminate-chair thing is pretty kool. Show some pix. I'd like to try that on something, sometime.

Jul 20, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

pics or stfu

:P

Jul 20, 05 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Is stfu like ftp? Oh, I git it.

Jul 20, 05 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
cp

building my house right now. just trying to keep it real i guess....

Jul 20, 05 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
boyles

i am just a student and haven't gotten the opportunity to design and build any of my own work yet, but have worked construction along with school for five years, and when i am done will start doing more design/build myself

Jul 20, 05 11:32 pm  · 
 · 

My predessor, a real asshole btw, had bought an old warehouse in Scotland and had renovated it over 4 years with a couple of his mates - then sold it. Made himself a pretty penny since he was the labour for most of the manual stuff except guilde work (plumbing, electrical work etc). Seems like something cool.

The most I've done is habitat stuff - taught me a hella lot.

Jul 20, 05 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i build what other people design

Jul 21, 05 9:44 am  · 
 · 
cp

architechno, i'm interested, what was your experience w/ habitat like?

Jul 21, 05 9:53 am  · 
 · 

el jeffe & MysteryMan:
when both are done, I'll definately post some images. The chairs also require casting silicone casting for pouring custom plastic components for the chairs - quite a learning experience. For the longboard, we're still refining the shape a bit, but once that is all set we'll start producing the blanks. We're also going to do some custom silkscreening on them to make them that much more special...

Jul 21, 05 10:38 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Can't wait to see it. I've always appreciated work like that - layers above finish carpentry, for sure (no pun intended). Gotta go cut some endangered redwood now (I guess I've destroyed my chances for LEED cert).

Jul 21, 05 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Rita, not to sway your Friday night plans, but a friend was just proposed to via phone by her boyfriend who claimed absense made his heart fond enough he just couldn't let her go....

I'm out of the gallery now til the opening, they are on their own for the next 27 hours - and it's looking great, so I'm not worried.

Jul 21, 05 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

UPDATE! I posted three images to the gallery of the Eames exhibit. Not the best photos but they are all I have for now and I'm impatient. They're in the Events section.

Show's up til 11 September - all Penn archinecters should go over!! It's in the Furness library so no excuse like "I don't have time". The Eames were absolute masters of true design not just "styling" (to borrow from the brilliant v-2.org) and it's wonderful to see physical examples of their work. Especially the very rare molded plywood child's chair which is abso-frickin-lutely adorable.

PS to anyone who goes - the canvas on the theater appeared while I was out of town the day before opening - should have been more plywood instead but too late to do anything about it at that point sigh.

Aug 11, 05 2:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: