Archinect
anchor

Gone A1?

drs

Our school doesn't provide great printing facilities, and given the expense of large format prints elsewhere I'm considering investing in an A1 printer. Who else took the plunge and did this?

I'm looking for recommendations on models in terms of print quality, ink consumption, reliability and so on. The (discontinued) HP 120 is my current favourite, as there are still boxed ones turning up at reasonable prices, and it seems to be just a less fashionable version of the 130.

Cheers...

Jul 20, 05 4:44 am
liberty bell

I'm bumping this topic up, because I'm interested in getting one too, for my tiny-working-in-a-basement firm, but haven't had time to research it yet. A used one for cheap would be ideal.

Jul 20, 05 8:54 am  · 
 · 
drs

Nice one :D. I'm sure there must be more people interested too. Large scale printing is truly affordable nowadays - time to take advantage!

Ink's the killer though. Some third parties make refillable ink systems for most major printer manufacturers. Could be worth looking into.

Jul 20, 05 9:29 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

anybody still doing the old blueprints?

Jul 20, 05 9:44 am  · 
 · 
FRO

where I work, if we have a lot of sets to run, we plot to vellum and run blueprints.

Jul 20, 05 9:53 am  · 
 · 
drs

Just been checking out how to have a few dyeline prints done of my work for next year. I think it could elicit a grin, to use retro technology too.

Jul 20, 05 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Crumpets

Dammit. I thought you guys were talking about the steak sauce. I got scared for a sec...

Jul 20, 05 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
caffeine junkie

Not sure about the A1 world
I bought the cannon I9900 which is A3...I work at a firm with the epson 2200
both are great printers, the canon is way cheaper, but keep one major thing to keep in mind, the 2200 and the model below it print on roll stock, the canon does not.
if you want the best possible quality and dont care about roll (or anything over 19") the I 9900 has the best technology.
something to keep in mind if you are looking at the cheaper printers
is do they allow separete ink cartages.

But here is a better idea, organize a movement to get a quality plotter in the school. Go talk to the dean/chair,
talk to students, talk to faculty. Get a faculty member to work with you even and see what kind of options are out there. Talk to other schools, see what other schools do, and talk to the people who do department fundraising and see what kind of donations etc you can get.
Everyone will be better off in the long run...

Jul 20, 05 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
drs

Apparently it's been a point of contention within the department for about six years now. The university has a large format printer, so their argument goes, which is of adquate quality and reasonably cheap. As such, they aren't going to be buying another. The problem comes towards the end of term, when time spent in print queues is measured in days, not even hours, as this poor printer is subjected to a hammering.

I know it's more sociable to obtain a printer that everybody has access to, and I will try some of your suggestions when term recommences, but for now I'm shopping for myself. I don't actually have a printer at all right now, so I'd probably be spending a bit on an A4 or A3 for next year anyway. If I jump straight up to A1, it's going to save time an money in the long run. I'd have better control over colour, media, and so on too, and it could become part of the process rather than just a presentation medium.

Jul 20, 05 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
drs

Oh, and thankyou for the advice on models. Much appreciated.

Jul 20, 05 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: