Archinect
anchor

Free MAYA

So I just downloaded MAYA for free (non-commercial use), but know little about it--is it used for architectural rendering commonly? That is, since I am a student now, should I make an effort to learn this software for my CV?

Jul 18, 05 1:34 pm
click here

if you're interested in getting one, too

Jul 18, 05 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
F0403

you are awesome! we have Maya at my school, and it is a god send, i was looking for a version i could learn more on and not have to pay..

you can do ANYTHING with maya!!
the help menu will teach you anything.. my suggestion would be, grap a cup of coffee and spend all night playing with it, just have fun, once you learn it, it will allow you to create and render things you couldnt have done with anyother 3d program, or a combination of them!!
good luck!

Jul 18, 05 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Its not as comprehensive for "cartesian modeling" as Rhino or Form Z - But you can make really nice nurbs surfaces.

When you get into rendering and shaders, we'll continue this discussion.

Jul 18, 05 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
figurski

Assuming the obvious, is the download only installable on a Mac OS platform?

Any links to a PC download out there?

Jul 18, 05 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
sunburntkamel
pc download

option 2 - download for free at the bottom of the page.

learning to render in maya is the same as learning to render in softimage or 3d max, since they all use the mental ray engine.

Jul 18, 05 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Yes, But again, Maya is more difficult [then 3ds] to set up Lighting, unless you render with Turtle or a similiar plugin.

Jul 18, 05 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Yes, But again, Maya is more difficult [then 3ds] to set up Lighting, unless you render with Turtle or a similiar plugin.

Jul 18, 05 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

I’ve had alot more success with Max. i find that Maya isn’t as user friendly as MAx.

Jul 18, 05 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
oe

i tried this learning version out.. its acctually more confusing then the prof version i have at my school, but whats important is to just keep with it.. it confuses the crap out of me, but everyone i know says once you know it (and it doesnt take that long, a few weeks maybe to learn the basics) its really easier then all the other programs, plus it does everything all in one.. rather then going from programs like 3d CAD to 3d Max then to photoshop.. and so on. just dont get to frustrated with it.... MAYA IS AWESOME!!! :)

Jul 18, 05 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
F0403

btw that last post from oe, was acctually from me, just to clarify :)

Jul 18, 05 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

How much is Alias paying you?

Jul 18, 05 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
F0403

wouldnt you like to know ;)

Jul 18, 05 5:45 pm  · 
 · 

hey, it's my thread, so I want a cut.

Jul 18, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: