Archinect
anchor

What not to miss in Romania?

Martinsson

i'm going there with my friends and was hoping to hear about some tips. How to spend a week in Romania? (nature, architecture, art, fun ...)

thanks

Jul 18, 05 8:42 am

check out the school blog

Jul 18, 05 10:44 am  · 
 · 
bflo

lots of good stuff to see in Romania...
check out the work of Augustin Ioan and Carmen Popescu before you go.

while there, see the Casa Poporului (House of the People), the second largest building in the world. Architecture, madness, and cult of personality all in one.

Also, of course, lots of fantastic Romanian Orthodox monasteries; second empire arch in Bucharest along with Eastern Bloc modernism; and a theme park based on Vlad Tepes (Dracula) in Timisoara (I think), although I can't recall if this was actually built, or only proposed.

bflo

Jul 18, 05 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

I wouldn't spend more than a day or two in Bucharest in which I wouldn't miss the Museum of Village (a collection of vernacular houses from around Romania, some very old) and maybe the park Cismigiu. If you must see the House of People, make sure you try to visit the back of it, I hear it's decaying already (just for the contrast).

Also in Bucharest a must see is Curtea Veche (sec. XVI) and
Hanul lui Manuc (1808) - the restaurant should be good too (and these two are very close).

If you go south of Bucharest, there are these villages with strange looking 'palaces' built by gypsies that are labeled as extremely kitschy but sort of interesting (pagoda meets 'the crib').

I would go to Transilvania -Brasov is a nice city and close to the castle Bran if you are into Dracula, but my favorite is Sibiu and maybe also Sighisoara. Sibiu also has a museum of village houses if you miss the one in Bucharest. On your way to Transilvania don't miss Sinaia and visit the castle Peles (formerly the royal residence).

As for the nature, I think the Danube Delta is a very unique place. You can camp there or live at some local's mini hotels. There's lots of rare animals and birds.
Otherwise there are also very spectacular mountains if you're into hiking.

Jul 19, 05 12:55 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

dont miss oana. she's a hottie...

Jul 19, 05 1:20 am  · 
 · 
Oana S.

thanks vado.
Martinsson, you have any idea where exactly you are going? bucharest or rather the western part?
i recommend you check the weather report as some parts of Romania are under water (biggest floods in the last 500 years, and i'm not talking about the ones in may), as for example you might not have acces everywhere in moldavia.

a nice part for nature and the 'vernacular' is also Maramures (northern part): biggest wooden churches in the world and with littlle luck very friendly people.

btw, if you go to brasov, sibiu you can't miss another escape in the nature, the fagaras mountains.

if you come around 14th of august there's a nice jazz festival, again in the mountains.
i'll try to think of more...

Jul 19, 05 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Martinsson

i'm thinking about bucharest, brasov, and fagaras moutains. another suggestions - Sibiu, Sighisoara, Oana ;) - seems good too.
its a one week trip and we come in august (last week).

thanks for your help.

Jul 20, 05 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Oana S.

np
before you come to bucharest let me know (via email).
my brother lives there and he can inform you about the latest parties, clubs, things to see.

Jul 21, 05 7:57 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

Jul 21, 05 9:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: