Archinect
anchor

Audiobooks

crush

I have gotten into the habit of listening to audiobooks at work. Thank you ipod. I would like to know if anybody else is doing this and if so, what are some good titles? Recently i've "read" Electric Universe by David Bodanis; The Genius Factory by David Plotz; Mr. Paradise by Elmore Leonard; and The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway. I just did a search on audible for architecture/design related books and it only came up with a FLW biography (yawn). Any recommendations?

Jul 15, 05 11:52 am
architecturegeek

I listened to all the harry potter books over the last week and.... sigh ... I'm pathetic. Though I do like the fact that each book is usually about 20 hours so it helps to pass a few work days.
I wasn't that impressed with Audible's selection and readers I prefer the done up versions put out by the publishers with music and the like. i prefer listening to trashier pop novels (i.e. dan brown and his ilk) when I'm working because I don't have to focus on what I'm listening to.
You can also find quite a bit of audiobooks on bittorrent sites..if your into that sort of thing.

Jul 15, 05 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

*dude* All the Harry Potter books in one week? Book 4 was 20 CDs long--how can you do all of them in one week?

I still haven't read them, but I did listen to 1-4. I guess I should do something about #5 now that #6 is here.

Jul 15, 05 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

maybe a little longer than one week... but my iPod is always on. sooo...It goes pretty quickly.

I still haven't read them, but I did listen to 1-4

I actually haven't "read" any past the first, either. but I've listened to all of them. The actor (Jim Dale) who reads them is actually quite good.

I liked the 5th the most, very entertaining.

Jul 15, 05 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

The thing is, I now pronounce "Hermione" wrong--I pronounce it the way Jim Dale says it, and not the way it is in real life.

Jul 15, 05 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

how is it pronounced in real life? I thought he had it right?

Jul 15, 05 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

No, he doesn't, there was a newspaper article about it at some point. It's actually Her MY uh nee, like it is in the movies.

Jul 15, 05 8:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: