Archinect
anchor

I know this has been done a million times before...

IADR

I want to design a html website for my portfolio.
Can anyone give me some tips on the design of the website, more in line of aesthetic rather than navigation and such.
Ive looked at tonnes of architecture firm websites and also the students websites and some of them are really awsome. However, websites for graphic design firms seem to be more inspiring and is the sort of line I would like to go with the design. I'm just worried that the website will be seen as a website for a graphic design firm as opposed to an architecture portfolio.

Here are some examples of websites which I find inspiring from graphic design firms:

http://www.kruspe.com/

http://www.lukebest.com/

If an architecture firm/student had designs which werent as like the above what impression would that give you about the firm/student?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Jul 12, 05 3:31 pm
AP

those sites are cute, maybe even kinda sexy, but rather annoying to navigate. If you haven't already, check out the bartlett site posted in the school blog section recently. www.u22.org

This is just my opinion, but a portfolio is about the work within it.

Jul 12, 05 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
pomotrash

Hey aaronUF when did you graduate from UF?

Jul 12, 05 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
AP

this past spring

Jul 12, 05 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

A site like Kruspe's would make me think that they were more focused on graphics than on the work presented by them. It's quite hard to see past such a gimmicky theme.

A site like lukebest's would leave me going, "WTF???". There's not nearly enough text to this thing- who is luke? Why should I care about Luke? Is Luke trying to sell me something, convince me what a great person he is, or is this just for Luke's personal gratification and I've just stumbled across it? I'm betting on the latter option. Or is luke even a person, or is lukebest just some phrase that the designer thought was catchy? Overall, I feel that this lacks a point, or if it's in there, it's buried so deep that I can't be bothered to find it. Also, the little fabric swatches don't give you enough of a clue as to what they lead you to. If in an architecture page, they were photos, materials, pictures of different locations/sites, or similar relevant images, this issue might be made better. But accessing everything by pop-up window is just annoying.

Jul 12, 05 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: