Archinect
anchor

Google EARTH

kendogg

Google has officially taken over the world...with its mapping! It's Google Maps with many more functions...including 3D! It's a free download so check it out. I wouldn't be surprised if I start seeing the images from this in architecture projects. it's just too easy!

http://earth.google.com/

Jul 12, 05 4:25 am
wildlobo71

I got it this week, and it has become the lunchtime diversion. It is an awesome program; I can't wait until the international locations get better resolution and 3D!

Jul 12, 05 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
joe

I also recently downloaded this , but have a couple questions about printing and saving images.
under the file tab there are two options (save image, print) when I go into both of them I am prompted to choose a resolution. but it doesnt allow me to pick a printer, or a directory where to save. do you guys have this problem too? it doesnt allow me to do these two things, and its kinda important. anyway, any help appreciated.

Aug 4, 05 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Kudless

If you like Google Earth you should check out Worldwind. Very similar app, not quite as smooth as Google Earth, but I like it better for certain things. Googe Earth's coverage seems really patchy. That is, some areas, like the entire state of NJ, are high res, and then PA is low. If you are trying to get nice images out of it these rough transitions don't help. Worldwind allows you to switch between different datasets so that all the colors match. Downloading is nice and easy too. Watch your worldwind cache filesize though. Mine reached 2Gb in less than a week.

But I really do love Google Earth's search features and integrated browser. Worldwind is more geared towards the scientific commuity than the general public.

Aug 4, 05 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
aemkei

I use v.3.0.0336(beta) and I didn't have a problem with either print or save. I got to choose printer after the program had prepared itself for printing a medium resolution image, which was my choice of resolution, and I got to choose directory right after clicking "save image" - so no surprises there although I didn't get to pick a resolution when saving to file.

Sort of a disappointing. I was really hoping I would have the same problems, find a way to solve them and then impress everyone with my ingenious solution, hehe.

Aug 4, 05 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

this has been posted befor which i thought it was funny

moon

Aug 4, 05 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Ludwig

go here for tons of sightseeing: link

Aug 4, 05 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Kudless

I forgot to mention that Worldwind doesn't plaster the bottom of your saved images with logos, north arrows, copywrite tags, and all the other junk that Google Earth images have. Just nice, clean, high res images.

Aug 5, 05 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: