Archinect
anchor

after school ...

mn

out of curiousity- what did you all do after you got out with your BA in arch-

Jul 10, 05 7:53 pm

hmmm
I worked for the government, entered a memorial competition, and got ready for grad school

asside from writing a few manifestos etc

Jul 10, 05 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

wow - i worked for an Engineering & Architecture firm doing most government work, also did a memorial competition, and prepared for grad school.....

Jul 10, 05 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
johndevlin

all I got was a BED which qualified me for nothing so worked as a stockbroker for 2 years then off to Cambridge to study theology for the RC priesthood which was a disaster made in heaven, or hell...

Jul 10, 05 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
honorthebrick

I worked at a small firm that did commercial work, got laid off then began working for a larger firm doing condos/resorts.

In between both jobs all I did was prepare for grad school.

Jul 10, 05 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
ElTomas

I took a year off to see if Architecture was really the field I wanted to be in the rest of my life...in the year sort of tried to narrow down who I wanted to work for and why...

Jul 11, 05 2:32 am  · 
 · 
aldous

ElTomas- Man, I wish I could afford to take a year off to think about what I'm doing. I see you are currently in Dallas. Did you find the kind of work you were looking for?

Jul 11, 05 2:56 am  · 
 · 
ElTomas

well the year off from architecture, i freelanced for the past year, and yes i did, start next monday actually, got the job at the very first place i interviewed at and really wanted to work at, 2 minute walk to work also is nice...

Jul 11, 05 2:58 am  · 
 · 
ElTomas

well the year off from architecture, i freelanced for the past year, and yes i did, start next monday actually, got the job at the very first place i interviewed at and really wanted to work at, 2 minute walk to work also is nice...

Jul 11, 05 2:58 am  · 
 · 
aldous

Congratulations! I am currently finishing my portfolio and am hoping to work for one of a few select design firms in Dallas. Hope I have the same good luck you had.

Jul 11, 05 3:05 am  · 
 · 

after BED in Arch i moved to japan and got super lucky to find a job as an architect there. after 3andabit years i was sooo burned-out + ready to go back to school to do MArch. was a bonus to have real buildings in my portfolio when applying to grad school...

Jul 11, 05 3:12 am  · 
 · 
ElTomas

carlson.... really do your research on the firms u want to work at, and be persistant with them on your desire to work for them..there are only a handful of quality firms in Dallas, so good luck to you...

Jul 11, 05 3:18 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I worked on my portfolio (slacked off) for three months, then sent out dozens of resumes. Talked to lots of people that weren't hiring across the country. Got a lot of this: "Call us in a few years maybe." Finally landed an interview, got hired, they changed their mind. Got another interview, got hired the next day. A full 6 months after graduating, but this was 9/11 days, so it was bad back then. Moral of the story, even if you're hot stuff, send out dozens of resumes and make some phone calls.

Jul 11, 05 8:28 am  · 
 · 
Anonymous

Packed into my car with my brother and two friends and took a road trip/ research trip to the San Diego/Tijuana border region for a week. Explored, photographed, interviewed, etc. It was part of research intended to be compiled and published.

After driving back to Chicago the group disbanded from lack of interest. I kept everything and have added it to my list of things to do when I have time. (which is growing by leaps and bounds) Upon returning was forced to find work so I joined a model shop to refine my model making skills/kill time not really working.

Ended up at my corporate gig 6 months after graduation when I got tired of being paid shit and not having benefits. Although working a 9-5 for close to a year now. In reality I've just been preparing for grad school while I finish my IDP. And I'm hungry to get back into school.

Jul 11, 05 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

- went for a bike ride
- washed my car
- met a bunch of friends to get drunk
- went to the beach
- repeat above (for a couple weeks)
- took a job that paid lots in a large office
- quit said job on second day because wasn't worth the angst in the office
- met a buddy for lunch took job for summer in small office ( had fun )
- laid off and went to work for high profile office
- quit after 4 mos because pay was too low, going into debt while I worked??
- took job for small office, gots lots of experience, got registered.
- got married, left above job.
- took job in a small town , moved with wife, got her pregnant.
- starting working on own projects at night.
- quit job to open my own office.
- never looked back.

Jul 11, 05 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

whister, that all sounds great, but if i were you i'd have gone skiing after school...

Jul 11, 05 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Actually I may have, brain was in a fog. Sleeping on the beach was pretty good recovery though!

Jul 11, 05 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: