Archinect
anchor

OK, Be Kool It's A Real Question: Exposed Floor Deck Over Roof, I'm Serious DangIT

MysteryMan

OK, Seriously, I'm serious:
Show how damn smart you are by suggesting details, or references for doing an Exposed Floor Deck (as in exposed to the weather) over an area that is to be protected from the elements (such as a carport, or a shop). I;m all ears. For you wiseguys: Yes, I have thought about one of them big blue tarps...wiseaxxes.

Oh yeah,
Thank You

Jul 7, 05 11:24 pm
a-f
TriFlex
Bolidt
Jul 8, 05 3:15 am  · 
 · 
RSD

JUST USE MERKOTE! THEY WILL GUARANTEE IT. I MAKE ALL MY CLIENTS USE THEM AND THEY INSTALL IT WITH THEIR OWN CERTIFIED STAFF. IF THEY F*** UP THEY COVER IT!

Jul 8, 05 3:36 am  · 
 · 
norm

a friend of mine used fiberglass on his deck - which is over his photography studio/office. it is both the roofing material and the finished deck. inexpensive - nice finish - low maintenance - absolutely waterproof - and it seems to be holding up well through the tough northeast winters.

Jul 8, 05 10:51 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Thanks All.

Jul 8, 05 11:03 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Actually, do ya'll have some solutions that you've used that is more in the neighborhood of wood decking over built-up plywood roof decking - less on the chemical solution-side. The fiberglas idea sounded like a good simple CHEEP solution, although the others are worth looking at. Oh yeah, CHEEP is my mantra.

Jul 8, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

are you a parakeet?

Jul 8, 05 4:08 pm  · 
 · 

I love parakeets!
When I was a kid I killed my older sister's by mistake... pulled out its tailfeathers and didn't last long after that... or at least thats what she tells me I did...

Jul 8, 05 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

If i don't find a way to cover the space under my deck, the parakeet's gonna evolve into something aquatic.

Jul 8, 05 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

you can do a wood deck over built up roofing, which should cheaper than an elastomeric topping. you've got to float the wood deck over the roofing material though. this means you gotta build in 4 posts (or more depending on the area) to the roof framing that will support the deck above and flash the roofing material around their bases.

Jul 8, 05 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Your conscience should prevent you from ever using a built-up roof. Ecological catastrophe. Good idea from a feasability standpoint though... do you have to create a pitch pocket around each of the posts?

Jul 9, 05 1:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: