Archinect
anchor

Kravitz Design/Pitt & the trivialization of Architecture

simples

It seems all the clients are work with have their own "Designs" already in mind. While Pitt and now Kravitz seem to successfully become designers due to their mere interest in architecture, what is our profession doing to minimize this trivialization.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050707/ap_en_ot/lenny_kravitz

Jul 7, 05 10:56 am
3ifs

do you honestly believe that lenny kravitz will design anything of merit?

Jul 7, 05 11:24 am  · 
 · 
e

probably not, but do most architects design anything of merit?

Jul 7, 05 11:33 am  · 
 · 
MickMack

the lenny thing is interesting considering he HIRES interior designers to do his homes...i know of two here in nyc who have worked for him (and working now too!)

but on a braver note...at least he is an interesting person, unlike Brad.

Jul 7, 05 11:44 am  · 
 · 
AP

HA! Lenny, interesting...HA!

Jul 7, 05 11:57 am  · 
 · 
caffeine junkie

boo hoo boo hoo, what are we to do...some rich dude is "designing" something, what are designers going to do...
I bet Lenny is going to "build" his house too....I am sure contractors everywhere are wondering what they can do to minimize trivialization.

Take a look around, architects are getting more press now than ever. Esquire magazine featured 7 architects, Fast Company featured a series of designers including architect, thats in the last few months. It is not the profession that is going to make a difference, its individuals...

Jul 7, 05 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
AP

media perpetuates trends as they come and go.

HGTV and others are responsible for the recent mainstream fascination with "designer types."

like capri pants on guys, this too will last only so long...

Jul 7, 05 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

i want brad to design my house and lenny to do the decoration........oh how GLAMO !

Jul 7, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
sarahjane

Maybe he could cut the ribbon and play a tune.

Jul 7, 05 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
caffeine junkie

HGTV is just sucking up to something that was created by others. While I think it is difficult to say who has created a trend, I would say that it is deeper than that, and more on par with the argument poised by Richard Florida in The Rise of the Creative Class.
No doubt though if I was going to give someone credit for our culture of well designed object fetish, I would say Apple computer had played a bit of a role. Also the internet boom of the late ninties, that put buying power in the hands of young savy creative types has changed how things are marketed and an empasis on design.

Jul 7, 05 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

he actually mentioned he has partners. So, one with money has some partners and they start a firm...if he wasn't Lenny Kravits no one would say a thing...much a do about nothing.

Any rock stars out there who would like to start an agency with me, feel free to email me.

Jul 7, 05 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
bidget

It's about branding. He has a brand name.

Elizabeth Talyor didn't ACTUALLY mix up perfurme did she?
J. Jo doesn't ACTUALLY design drape patterns does she?

No, architect's should realize that publicity is extremely important.

Jul 7, 05 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
AP

caffienejunkie...ya, sounds about right

Jul 7, 05 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Apple owes much of that to Satchi and Satchi

Jul 7, 05 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
caffeine junkie

Thats prob true Jason I just meant as a collective force pushing design rather than crediting them with it.

Jul 7, 05 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman
http://kravitzdesign.com/
Jul 8, 05 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
conversationkiller

im going to puke. this is killing my soul.

Jul 9, 05 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
caffeine junkie

there is difference between branding and just being repetative...

Jul 9, 05 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

"probably not, but do most architects design anything of merit?" - e

that sums it up.

Jul 9, 05 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: