Archinect
anchor

engineering to architecture?

paper

what do graduate schools look for someone with a b.s. in engineering? do they want a strong engineer or a strong artist? i'm trying to figure out what to put in a portfolio, and i am completely drawing a blank.

Jul 7, 05 1:42 am
ichweiB

I think it would depend on what level you are applying for. If it is a level I then they usually understand people are coming from various backgrounds, so I would show them whatever you have that demonstrates your architecture interest and ability. I would also market your engineering background-there is nothing wrong with that because schools that offer these programs like the fact that students will bring authentic abilities and disciplines to the program-so I would use it as a strong point. definitely include any good sketches you have done that demonstrate an ability to visual space and proportion as well as understanding volume. If you don't have any, just take some time to draw some. Some schools don't require a portfolio or look at it very open mindly. Use your statement of purpose to sell yourself as well and possibly explain the relationship you see engineering and architecture and how you can fit into it well.

Jul 7, 05 2:13 am  · 
 · 
jessej

Make sure your portfolio is very strong. Try and have a look at what non-engineers are submitting at your school of choice, and ensure that whatever you're submitting is competitive.

I (an engineer), applied to six schools, and got in to two. No ivies accepted me, and neither did MIT. All indicated that my portfolio was the main deficiency. I spent two years (including an entire year in a degree program at a locally prestigious art academy, and a 5 week career discovery program) preparing my portfolio.

Jul 7, 05 10:19 am  · 
 · 
rak1os

what discipline of engineering and how much out-of-school expierence?

Jul 7, 05 11:04 am  · 
 · 
paper

b.s. in civil engineering, and recently harvard gsd's career discovery. my problem is that my portfolio is shaping up to be mostly fine arts- a lot of drawing, esp. figures. i have some odd categories, incl. etchings, ceramics, and pop-up cards.

i know that my fine arts stuff is pretty competitive, but my problem is i have very little architecture to show; maybe one or two projects, max, and very few good illustrations of process.

do you think admissions is looking for those iconic little one-liner projects, or the well-developed long term project?

Jul 7, 05 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
paper

should i even bother trying to compete with the b.archs? because really, i can't compete when it comes to straight arch, and i'm not sure admissions are even looking for a straight match up. i'm in an entirely different catergory.

jessej- what kind of work was in your portfolio?

Jul 7, 05 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
rak1os

do you have any expierence in professional practice? where did you get your degree?

Jul 7, 05 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
rak1os

get your PE first...you will regret it if you don't

Jul 7, 05 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
paper

degree is from a college in the top ten for engineering undergrad, top five for liberal arts. as for professional experience, i'm looking at an internship abroad right now. why do you say i should go for the pe first?

Jul 7, 05 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
rak1os

assuming that you passed the EIT.. and spent all of that time studying engineering why would you let all of that expierence and knowledge go to waste.

I did what you are considering but had 1.5 years professional expierence in structural engineering before I started arch grad school.

I remember having a conversation with my boss before I left to go to grad school and he said that I would go to school, rack up a shit load of debt, and make less money than I was making at the time with a masters degree in architecture... Which was all true..

I know that the idea of being an archtiect sounds alot more romantic and cool than being an engineer, but in a few years after you get out of school you are going to wish that you had a PE to fall back on even if you are practicing architecture..

After I get out of achool in a few months, the first job that I get is goign to be with a structural engineer again until I get my PE and then maybe think about practicing architecture.....

Jul 7, 05 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
paper

i have my EIT. i know that after i get an m.arch, i can expect to lose $10-15k off my salary compared to engineering. assuming a constant base salary in engineering of $45k, means that 5 years from now, architecture will have an opportunity cost, before taxes, of $135k. add a conservative $90k for 3.5 years of tuition. that's what, $225k in opportunity costs?

architecture is a completely indefensible vocation if you're already an engineer. i know that part already.

maybe this question is too personal, but do you regret going out for your m.arch? you don't sound thrilled about it. and this is a terribly shallow question, but what was in your portfolio?

Jul 7, 05 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
jessej

Paper - in response to your question - my portfolio consisted of 15 projects - two architectural, two graphic design, four photography, three furniture design, one interactive 3d piece, one installation, one drawing, one painting. Regrets? Too much photography, and not enough editing.

I've got my EIT, and will have accumulated about 2 years experience before I start my M.Arch. in the fall. I've discovered that (in Canada), if I TA structures courses, I can use it as EIT hours. Also, I figure my summer jobs are more likely to be engineering related than architectural. So I'll probably have accumulated 3 years of experience by the time I graduate (in Canada, we need 4 years before we can apply to be a PE).

We should start a club or something. Pazdon, where are you?

Jul 7, 05 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
paper

yeah i know. i think the transition from engineering to architecture is really badly defined, because the two are at least tangentially related. i just can't figure out if admissions care about the engineering beyond the extra letters it gives you. if i was a linguistics major, i would know for a fact that they don't care.

i feel like i should present some of my engineering, but my undergrad experience was pretty limited. i mean, who would really be impressed by a drawing of 3 #7 pieces of rebar in a concrete footing or fifteen k braces underneath a metal deck? it's not exactly groundbreaking work.

Jul 7, 05 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
eugene j

i am switching from engineering to architecture myself, although my b.s. is electrical engineering.

Jul 7, 05 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
paris

I applied with all fine art(lotsa abstract figurative stuff) and design(nothing architectural)pieces and I got in. don't worry

Jul 8, 05 1:20 am  · 
 · 
paper

thanks for all your advice, really.

Jul 9, 05 3:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: