Archinect
anchor

Need help where to send laptop to be opened to put new hard drive in under $40.

tomcuise3230

Dear members:

does any one know please where do isend my laptop to be opened to take out the old hd and put a new hd in? (checked bestbuy, circui tcity, staples, and my nearest toshiba laptop providers: all do it for at least 70 dollars just for taking out hd and installing a new one!)?
Also, can you tell me how to open up a laptop or articles that do show you how step by step and other things? please let me know as soon as u can! thank you very much

Jul 7, 05 12:54 am
MysteryMan

Gitcha one of them screwdrivers & puncture the screen. STAB, STAB! STAB!!!! Go spend anothe 6 hours in the McD's & you'll have that $70 before you know it. Sorry to be a jerk, but you beat me to the punch re: "How to Be a CheapSkate."

Jul 7, 05 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
9SquareGrid

Most laptop hard drives are SUPER easy to remove and install. There should be a door on the bottom side of the computer with a single screw. Simply pop out the old one and pop in the new one. The trickiest part is re-installing the software, but even that should be simple if you have your original recovery cd/dvd.

Jul 7, 05 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
ericMontross

where are you located?
i got a new hard drive at unitek in pasadena. if you're in the area, check them out.

Jul 7, 05 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
tomcuise3230

i have toshiba satellite 1400-s151 laptop and i live in staten island new york. i unscrwed where the hd is but it doesn't come out regardless of sliding it but that don't move it an inch either. therefore i think i have to dismantle the laptop or open in half to get the hd out. therefore do u know any article that might help make me do that (toshiba site or my user guide doesn't give any details on how to do it just says take it to your provider to fix it)

Jul 8, 05 2:03 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

it's called a phone book. try the one with the yellow (not white) pages. Look up computers, repair.

Jul 8, 05 11:31 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

tomcuise3230, you drive me crazy.

Jul 8, 05 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
tomcuise3230

okay, i will try the phone book and see if i can find the service for cheaper. and
just to let u now, when i open the one screw where the hd is, i see the tray and the hd is covered in silver shiny paper, so i can't really see the hd just the wrapped up shinny paper covering it. therefore, can youtell me what is the purpose of doing that and what is it for (the shinny silver paper thing?)

Jul 9, 05 6:44 am  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi
For years USB devices became cheaper and cheaper, --- you plug in a small device into the USB port and suddenly the computer have another harddisk that you can use just as a harddisk ,remove and place in another computer, ----- try look for that solution.

Jul 9, 05 11:10 am  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

thats a good suggestion by Per Corell... the best place to ask for advice like that is at the 'Notebook Review' discussion forums. There are several dealers and shops who frequent that forum that often give free, good, and economical advice... plus if your dead set on replacing it you can send it to one of them.

Jul 9, 05 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: