Archinect
anchor

Summer Indulgences ....

Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Okay, so with my thesis done and my pending East Coast jaunt approaching like a hellbound Acela Express train, I just wanted to share a couple of things that make life a little bit more fun (it's for the best, right, before I immerse myself in school) ...

1. The Wu-Tang Manual: Enter The 36 Chambers (Vol. 1), by RZA (link) ... the definitive Wu-Tang autobiography.

2. Jaime Lidell, Multiply (WARPCD131) ... a mainstay of the Warp Records Label (review here). The guy sounds kinda like a mixture between Terence Trent D'Arby and Jamiroquai. His personal website is here. Check out the video for The City.

3. Alex McDowell. Along with David Wasco, one of Hollywoods coolest production designers. Check out his work on Tim Burton's version of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. You have also seen his work in Fight Club and Minority Report.

4. Young Hae Chang Heavy Industries. A South Korean web artist. Her stuff was in the Venice Biennale a couple of years ago. Funny.

5. The video for "Drink to Moving On" by British band Grand National. The video was directed by Ramon and Pedro (a better quality stream of the video can be found at this website). For Tetris fans.

Jul 6, 05 5:24 pm
Jr.
Mary Worth: The Movie
Jul 6, 05 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you really ought to try going outside once in awhile master smoke.

Jul 7, 05 12:10 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

yeah, i know ... thanks, vado

gonna go outside and smoke a cigarette

Jul 7, 05 12:29 am  · 
 · 
driftwood

Jaime Lidell...

Damn! That's some seriously good sh!t. Anyone seen "It's all Gone Pete Tong"? Amazing movie.

Jul 7, 05 1:54 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

i read the wu-tang manual while listening to 36 chambers last week, and it was quite entertaining. i really do like the RZA, but his writing is probably at about the same level as a 5th grader's. my favorite parts were the sections on fashion and the elaborately explained lyrics.
while reading i kind of wished i was high.

Aug 10, 05 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
OlDirtyArchitect

Check out the Fresh Air with Terri Gross archives on the NPR website.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4525189

Fantastic interview, I think it will give you a little insight into why his writing is at the level of a fifth grader's. Nonetheless the man is a genius, as was his cousin, may he rest in peace.

Aug 10, 05 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

wow. that's incredible. (about 15 min into the interview of 45) He might not be the most eloquent, but it's really insightful. I've always loved wu-tang, but now i have a newfound perspective on the RZA.

Aug 10, 05 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
OlDirtyArchitect

I just wish ODB and GZA were part of the interview. I can't even imagine Terri Gross and the 3 of them holding a conversation.

Aug 10, 05 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

yeah, that interview is really great. my commment on his writing abilities was not meant so sound like i doubted his intelligence...
furthermore, the simple language is why the wu-tang manual truly is a "summer indulgence"
how much of a mindfuck would it be to hear the entire wu-tang clan in a interview with terry gross?
i also was wondering how many children the wu-tang has fathered...

Aug 10, 05 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
OlDirtyArchitect

ODB has like 11 or something I believe, 3 or 4 different mothers, he was always complaining about alimony. I think RZA has 3 or 4, that interview says, don't know about the rest of the members.

Aug 10, 05 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
paper tiger

one of my fondest memories in life, actually, is a buddy of mine who loves the wutang very much used to listen to them all the time at work, when we did an internship together for the summer. he would, at times, unplug his headphones and the wutang would flood the entire office floor. it was beautiful seeing the surprised and pained expressions on our older colleauges. simply, it was funny.

Aug 10, 05 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
Philip Gentleman

i mostly indulge myself in the drunken sorority girls at baja cantina in venice.

Aug 10, 05 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
paper tiger

drunken sorority girls, a true rarity, surely worth the trip to the marina alone, damn near impossible to indulge upon, these sorority girls, as they are so clever and drunk, you're a true...what's the word....oh yes, gentleman.

Aug 10, 05 7:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: