Archinect
anchor

NYC Broker experience

LRHC

I'm moving to NYC at the beginning of August and had some quick rental experience questions:

1) I've planned on coming up for 3 days this weekend to find a place... is this enough time?

2) If I do only have 3 days should I go through a broker, will they just rip me off or help?

3) Is it possible to find a decently priced 1 bedroom downtown (me, my wife, and dog), or is a studio the only realistic option.

Thanks for the help,

Jul 5, 05 2:04 pm
mm

LRHC,

1. It could be enough time if you are able to schedule appointments before you arrive and that you are pretty flexible with what you want. Weekends are often not a good time to view apartments... if you can schedule more time mid-week, you might increase your options.

2. If you only have three days, going directly through the owners or management company may be the only way to go. Try newyork.craigslist.org, as they separate the listings by owner or broker.

3. It all depends on how you define reasonable. If you are now living in Tokyo or London, New York will seem like a bargain. But if you are from almost anywhere else, prepare for sticker shock. A 1-bedroom anywhere south of 34th Street is likely to be no less than $1,500 a month but more likely around $1,700+. Are you sure you want to be downtown? The outer boroughs are more affordable.

I recommend having all your paper work ready and available. This may include everything from a letter confirming employment to past tax returns to a copy of your driver's licence. And, if you'll need a guarantor (if you're a student,) have all that information with you, too.

Also, fyi, having a dog might be a deal breaker for some landlords.

Jul 5, 05 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i personally go through craigslist...have found it to
be really quick to find places and you don't have to
pay a fee. found an apartment and three roommates
that way.

i'm also a huge fan of living in brooklyn...i live right
on prospect park (which would be great for your dog) i also
have friends that live in carrol gardens and it seems as though
you can find really nice one bedrooms there..

good luck

karl

Jul 5, 05 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
LRHC

Thanks for the info mm

Jul 5, 05 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
rtdc

Brokers will typically charge one months rent for finding you a place. If you know the city fairly well, and have a little time, you should be able to do without one.

Downtown studio's will go from $1000-1300 (400-600sf)
Downtown one bedrooms will be $1,700 to 2,100 (700-1000sf)

I don't think Park Slope, Ft. Green, or Brooklyn Heights is any cheaper than Manhattan, but you get a little more space.

Greenpoint and Carrol Gardens are two neighborhoods that are a little cheaper.

Your best bet is to figure out which neighborhood is best for you (price range, location, neighborhood ammenities, proximity to certain trains) and schedule as many apartments as you can in your three days. I agree with mm that you need all of your paper work in order (landlords info, work verification, DL). Be prepared to put down three months rent as well (first, last, deposit). Good luck.

Jul 5, 05 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
JG

When I moved here I was laughed out of nearly every major brokers office for not having a job and wanting to move here. I finally asked then how people move here without jobs and the answer was quite blunt and sobering "rich parents".

I ended up using craigslist and found it to be a much more pleasurable experience.

FYI, You'll have a better shot with your dog in brooklyn. Another bonus is Prospect Park (near Park Slope) which allows your dog to run off-leash, the only place in the city (besides the runs) they can do that.

Jul 5, 05 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
bawmis

if you know the city at all then you have a fighting chance in doing it in a weekend. a single block any direction will make a huge difference in cost and living environment. youll never find the perfect place in a weekend, so make priorities and get ready to give something up(ie flights of stairs youll walk up, commute to work, kitchen size, etc etc.)finding a place you like/can afford is hard enough but on top of that you have to win the right to sign the lease before anyone else gets it. This was a shock to me as i just graduated and hadnt received a paycheck yet....when you want a place, lets say it costs 1,700, to get the right to sign the lease you'll need to write a check for the fiirst month/security deposit/broker fee, so $5100. you also need to make 40 times youre monthly rent and if you have questionable credit you might have to pay another month for security deposit. if it needs to be done this weekend go to a broker. the worst part of them besides the huge bill is that they pressure you rent, but dont let them push you into anything too quickly

Jul 5, 05 7:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: